FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Design View error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gussabina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gussabina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Design View error
    Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 5:34pm
Hi:

Each time I open the designer view, I get the below error message...The second time, It opens fine... I 'm working on a Cabana based project, but I'm not sure if this is a cabana-related issue...

Thanks;
Gus

ErrorImage One or more errors encountered while loading the designer. The errors are listed below. Some errors can be fixed by rebuilding your project, while others may require code changes.

The path is not of a legal form.

Hide    

at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
at System.Reflection.AssemblyName.GetAssemblyName(String assemblyFile)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.AddProjectDependencies(Project project)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.AssemblyEntry.get_Assembly()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.AssemblyEntry.Search(String fullName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreTypeCase, Assembly& assembly, String description)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.SearchProjectEntries(AssemblyName assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreTypeCase, Assembly& assembly)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.SearchEntries(AssemblyName assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, Assembly& assembly, ReferenceType refType)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, ReferenceType refType)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.AggregateTypeResolutionService.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.AggregateTypeResolutionService.GetType(String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.System.ComponentModel.Design.IDesignerHost.GetType(String typeName)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.EnsureDocument(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.BasicDesignerLoader.BeginLoad(IDesignerLoaderHost host)
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 7:39pm
Yup.  CAB-related idiosyncrasy.  Simply closing the designer and reopening should work.   If not, close the designer, run a build, then reopen.  All should be well after that.
gussabina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gussabina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 9:40pm
Hi:
Yes..But it does not happens in the Cabana Sample App...Only in my app (generated with the Cabana App Wizard...)

Regards;
Gus
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 8:53am
I have gotten in the habit of closing any gui designer windows before closing the solution.  When I reopen the solution, I perform a build, then open the design window.

Not sure what would make Cabana work and not a derivative.  This may be CAB/DF wizard related; however, I have seen this type of thing surface elsewhere. 
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 9:10am
I suspect that what you may be seeing is what I call the White Screen of Death (WSOD) or White Screen of Darn.  Try Googling it.  This is a Visual Studio "idiosyncracy".  You may read about it in the Installation Guide.

You open a Form or UserControl in Design View and, instead of a design canvas you see a frightening splash of red error messages such as this

There are many potential causes such as:

·         You deleted your dependent assemblies.

·         You lost the reference to a dependent assembly.

·         You changed a dependent assembly, compiled it, and broke something.

·         You tweaked the form.Designer class file and broke something.

·         It used to work but you just installed a new version of DevForce.

You probably know what to do about most of these causes. We address that final case in the “Updating Existing Applications” chapter.

Edited by davidklitzke - 07-Dec-2007 at 9:10am
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 4:45pm
I concur.  I (unfortunately) get this WSOD from time to time on both CAB and non-CAB applications.  It happens whenever the designer gets an exception when it tries to create a form or user control in design mode.  It can be caused by bugs in your code (in the constructor of the control, for example). 

I've also seen it related to the toolbox, particularly if I have a control that contains controls from another assembly in the same project.  It sometimes helps to remove and re-add the control-containing assemblies from my solution to the toolbar (Tools->Choose Toolbox Items...), then re-start Visual Studio.

Bill J.
 Post Reply Post Reply