FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Increasing the Performance of Paging in DevForce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increasing the Performance of Paging in DevForce
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 5:31pm
The performance for paging in DevForce will never be great, but we have done what we can to make it as fast as possible,  In fact, for the DevForce 3.4.0.3, we have added some performance optimizations to make performance quite similar to standard RdbQueries in many cases..

The best thing you can do to improve performance is to reduce the "width" of your query.  In other words, rather than returning all of the columns in each row (which is standard), construct a light weight Dynamic Entity that is composed of just a few columns.  For example. for Orders, create a Dynamic Entity of Id, Customer Id, and OrderDate so that your fetch returns 3 columns instead of 20.  If you are unfamiliar with Dynamic Entities, there is a Tutorial on this feature as well as some good material in the Developer's Guide.

However, reducing the width of your query is generally not recommended.  The reason for this is that the Dynamic Entity contains only some of the columns of the underlying entity.  Therefore, only consider decreasing the width if performance is all important and you will likely not be doing extensive editing operations.
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 5:29pm
 I just want to ask something about paging in Ideablade Devforce.  We have 38,000+ records that we need to separate into pages.  I used the PagedRdbQuery class to construct my paging.  For the first few pages, I got fast results but when I tried to set the CurrentPage property of my PagedRdbQuery to the last page, it got very slow.  Is there any work-around to this or do you have any suggestions on how to implement paging?  I am thinking of getting all the records asynchronously but with 38000+ records, it will still take some time to load all of these records.   Thank you very much and have a nice day!
 Post Reply Post Reply