FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Union on EntityQueryPagedCollectionView

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rowell_21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rowell_21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Union on EntityQueryPagedCollectionView
    Posted: 16-Mar-2011 at 11:27pm
Is it possible to use union to add a new row on top of the results being queried?

I need to add something like "All Records" in the results and I'm using EntityQueryPagedCollectionView object and does not have a way to modify it before binding to a grid.

My results should look like this:

Id -  Name
0 -  All Records
1 -  Record1
2 -  Record2
3 -  Record3

I used to do it in stored procedure by having a union of the "All Records" row to the actual resort before returning it.

Thanks.
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2011 at 3:43pm
Hi rowell_21;

I'm not sure I follow your question. EntityQueryPagedCollectionView only works with an EntityQuery<T> and you can't access each individual row to modify the results.

Perhaps if you can elaborate your use case further, I can give you better suggestions.
rowell_21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rowell_21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2011 at 8:54am
Hi DenisK,

Thank you for your response.
Here's what I need to do:

I have one table named "Services" which has two columns, [ServiceId] int and [ServiceName] varchar.

I need to bind this to a grid but I need to have a row that has zero(0) for ServiceId and "All Services" for ServiceName.

I used to do this in stored procedure by a sample query below:

SELECT 0 AS [ServiceId], 'All Services' AS [ServiceName]
UNION
SELECT ServiceId, ServiceName FROM Services

this would result to:

ServiceId   ServiceName
0               All Services
1               Service1
2               Service2
3               Service3

I would like to put a paging in my results to minimize traffic when loading all results.

Thanks.
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2011 at 5:19pm
Hi rowell_21;

Unfortunately what you're asking won't work using EntityQueryPagedCollectionView. I only have 2 suggestions at this time.

1. Try using a different type of grid.

2. Don't use Union and instead store that record in the database.
 Post Reply Post Reply