FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Notification on Devforce 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pponzano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pponzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Notification on Devforce 2012
    Posted: 30-May-2013 at 5:57am
Hello... please excuse me, where the notification's service has gone in 2012? I wish to detect DB changes on a specific entity (added/removed) and notify the client...

as well if I've got a window service, can I reference the devforce's dll to a class library ? I wish to have a notification module that tooks information and pools them via dataflow to another thread (this I'm able to do), just want to know if my assembly acts like a server how can I manage the call serverside?

Thanks
smi-mark View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote smi-mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 6:09am
Push notification has gone. You can use something like SignalR though to achieve the same thing. It's very easy to use and in whatever code you have to detect changes (Save interceptor, etc) you can then push a notification to the client

SignalR is available on NuGet and there is a lot of good documentation here: https://github.com/SignalR/SignalR/wiki

For your task you might look at using Persistent Connections, you probably don't need to use the more complex Hubs.

Here is a quickstart article https://github.com/SignalR/SignalR/wiki/QuickStart-Persistent-Connections

Rather than using HTML/JS to send the notification, this can simply be done in your service that handles the change notifications.
pponzano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pponzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 6:12am
Hello,
the app I'm running is almost serverside (a windows service that reads/wirte on database and has the need to "wake up" when an entry is written on a table.... can I use ideablade or it's useless?
Thanks

I'm to check SignalIR right now...
Thanks again
smi-mark View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote smi-mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 6:21am
Is your client using DevForce? If so, you could set it up like this:

IIS (or wherever the DevForce BOS is hosted)
  -SignalR persistent connection service exposed over http

Change notification service
  -SignalR client that pushes the change information to the IIS server  which then broadcasts it to any listening clients (the quickstart shows a simple example of this)

DevForce client
 -SignalR client that receives the change information

Edited by smi-mark - 30-May-2013 at 6:21am
pponzano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pponzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 6:27am
There's no client at all (maybe some for logging)
It's 99% a windowsservice that does computation... I was to use devforce for reading data (server side) and then notification...
smi-mark View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote smi-mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 6:29am
I meant what are you trying to notify? Are you trying to send the notification to an existing application using DevForce?

Edited by smi-mark - 30-May-2013 at 6:30am
pponzano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pponzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 6:32am
no, new application from scratch, it's divided into modules... I have my notification module that should receive the fact there's a new item (I was to use notificationservice but I think I'll have a timer and pool on the table.
When the notification module detects an insert/updates it prepares a dataflow packet and push to a queue
 Post Reply Post Reply