New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Object Mapper not showing up in the tools menu of my German VS2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Object Mapper not showing up in the tools menu of my German VS2005

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Object Mapper not showing up in the tools menu of my German VS2005
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 11:40am
There still is the problem with the Object Mapper not showing up in the tools menu of my German VS2005. That is because the menu is called "Extras" in German, not "Tools". As I didn't want to install an English VS, I decided to see if I could get it running. Well, I did. I had to do some reverse engineering using .NET Reflector for this, hope that won't invalidate my license ;)

The problem was that your addin code looks up the name of the menu in a ressource file which is only having English and Japanese names. Not sure why, probably that has been generated using a beta version of VS. When I created a new addin project, I got such a file generated with a lot more languages - probably all available VS localizations. Essentially I built a new addin using your code and "my" resource file. That works quite well, I did not yet encounter any other issues...

I attached the new resource file (I'm sure your VS can generate one automatically as mine did, just in case...), would be nice if this would be included in your next release :)

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 11:46am
 have good news for you.  We have fixed the bug.  Our senior developer wrote:

I went ahead and fixed this (yeah, yeah, I wasn’t supposed to make the changes, but it was quick and our bug was quite gross).   

We did in fact have a “bad” CommandBar.resx file – I copied in a good one which I’d generated the other week while looking through SDK stuff.  The file apparently contains menu localization info for supported Visual Studio localizations (only English, Japanese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese).

We also had what I thought was an uglier problem in that we were never correctly looking at these resources (which are embedded in the AddIn assembly) because we were using the wrong resource “base” name, causing an exception to always be thrown when the ORM install was done and always defaulting to the word “Tools”. 

Post Reply Post Reply