FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ideablade tips on slow VS 2005 IDE?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideablade tips on slow VS 2005 IDE?
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:16pm

Performance on VS 2005 IDE is incredibly slow!

Minutes upon minutes just to load a solution. Minutes upon minutes to just show a form in the designer.

We' made hours upon hours web research and test! Blog entries have developers up in arms on this issue! Some have tips that don't seem to stick. Microsoft MVPs skirt the issue!

http://www.microsoftweblog.com/2005/11/05/problems-with-visual-studio-2005/

My work performance has degraded solely on wait time for VS 2005 to by "Ready"!

How are you experiencing this? Do you have any wisdom on performance here?

My environment:

Dual Xeon 3.20Ghz

3.00 GB of RAM

38.6GB free hard drive space

Windows XP Professional SP2

Visual Studio 2005 SP1

Visual Source Safe 2005

Please help us... you're our only hope...

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:18pm
Actually - I DO have some tips. Not many ... But a few.

#1) Get a machine with the fastest hard drive you can find. Not the most memory ... that doesn't seem to matter much. But drive speed is everything.

I work with a Shuttle that has >10,000 rpm drive. It is portable enough to carry between home and office each day. I love it. Three Visual Studio sessions + Camtasia + Powerpoint is an every day occurrence for me. Every time I try a laptop with a "fast" drive (~7k), I go crazy because it is too slow to do anything.

I haven't tried it yet but I have a feeling that it would be faster still if you could confine VS's attentions to some kind of virtual drive. It's just a drive pig.

The great news is that a tricked out Shuttle costs less than a high end laptop. And you upgrade it as technology advances.

If your time is worth money, look into working with a machine that takes a fast drive.

#2) Small views. You mentioned that it takes "minutes to just show a form in the designer". I've rarely seen that but when I do, it is usually because there is one mondo form with the entire UI crammed into it. This also puts you at risk for high anxiety when the "white screen of death" knocks on your door. As he inevitably does.

The answer is "lots of small views". Of course they have to come together as a rich UI. Which means you should build your UI "by composition". This is something I stress in my CAB classes and CAB certainly supports it well. But you don't need CAB to build by composition; I'd been doing it that way long before CAB (e.g. Funhouse).

Not enough room to go deep but the essence is that you write a UI controller which assembles the UI at runtime by instantiating the views and putting them where they belong within a pre-arranged layout. The layout can be as simple as a UserControl with split containers, tab controls, and panels.

Typically I nest these as well.

#3) UI designer avoidance. I actually don't use the designers very often.

With small views there isn't much reason to do so. I always construct my grids without the designer at all.

#4) Tune your VB. I'm no expert on this. I write everything in C# and then convert to VB so I don't spend much time there. What time I have spent there has convinced me that the VB compiler is simply not well done. I'm not criticizing the language; I'm criticizing the compiler which is balky and fragile and feature poor relative to the C# compiler. It also lacks the simple refactoring features of the C# compiler. I hope they fix it for Orcas.

Meanwhile, if you can kill off that edit-and-continue, things may pick up.

So I have heard.

Or you could always switch to C#. I know it seems like a joke. But I've come close several times to convincing a client to do that ... not by suggesting it but simply by moving back and forth between the two compilers as we worked together. I can't tell you how many times he said "wait ...

what did you just do? ... you mean you can do THAT."

Let me repeat - I'm not campaigning against VB the language - I'm just telling it like it is about the compiler.

Best of luck,

Post Reply Post Reply