FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Defined Queries in DF?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HankFay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HankFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defined Queries in DF?
    Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 3:02pm
<newbie alert>

Is it possible to use defined queries (http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1994) in DevForce? If so, are there any special steps that make it either easier or harder than straight EF?

TIA,

Hank Fay

</newbie alert>
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 6:50pm
Hi Hank;

I'll try to implement this out and let you know.
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2010 at 11:00am
Hank;

I've tried it and yes DF works with Defined Queries. The steps are the same when implementing this in DF or EF. 

The article also states that Defined Queries is similar to Database Views so I would think that implementing the view in the database would be easier than editing the edmx manually.

Hope this helps.
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2010 at 2:28pm
Hi Hank;

I tried implementing Database Views and it behaves the same as implementing Defined Queries. And the steps to implement it is much easier and simpler than Defined Queries. Basically you just create the views in the database, import the view into the edmx using the EDM designer, and run the DF custom tool generation. It'll create this new read only entity just like when you create Defined Queries.
HankFay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HankFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2010 at 2:46pm
Hi Denis,

that is fantastic.  Thanks a lot for checking all this out.

Hank

Post Reply Post Reply