FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade issue to Devforce 2010 6.1.12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PeterProva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade issue to Devforce 2010 6.1.12
    Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 8:53am
Hi guys,
I followed up the steps to upgrade my project Silverlight Devforce 2010 6.1.12.
I rebuild my Model but unfotunately it still uses 6.1.7 version which was the last version i had it.
1-Is it possible to jump from 6.1.7 to 6.1.12 ?
2-In documents says "1. Regenerate your business model entities (this will not change your custom business logic). "
 does it mean to rebuild it?

Thanks,
Peter
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 9:19am
Peter,

What exactly do you mean by "still uses 6.1.7 version"?
Are the designer classes not being regenerated? You can check and confirm by taking a look in your .IB.Designer.cs file:

// --------------------------------------------------------------------
// DO NOT MODIFY THIS CLASS - AutoGenerated Code
//    Any changes made to this code will be lost the next time this
//    code is regenerated.
//
//    Generated at: 3/19/2013 17:00:34
//    DevForce version: 6.1.12.0
//    Template version: 2.1.4
// --------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, be sure to go over the release notes at http://drc.ideablade.com/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/release-notes to find and address all breaking changes from v6.1.7 to v6.1.12.

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 11:15am
Hi sbelini,
I solved that problem by deleting all refrences and add new one.
Should i do it for any single project in my solution?
Is there any upgrade utility so it does for the projects?
thx
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 11:24am
You shouldn't have to remove and re-add references.
Be sure that Specific Version is set to false in the reference properties.

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 11:29am
After i installed the new 6.1.12 i got tons of errors when i looked at the solution most of the projects had ? in front od refrences so i deleted them and ass them again.

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 11:48am
Do i need to install all versions before 6.1.12 (Mine is 6.1.7)?
Does 6.1.12 covers all the previous ones?
thx
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 12:11pm
You don't need to install all versions.
You should be able to install v6.1.12 on top of v6.1.7 without issues.

Note that you MUST ensure that Specific Version in the assembly reference property is set to FALSE. This applies to all DevForce assemblies.

If you have the above properly addressed, you shouldn't have any errors related to references. (i.e. the "!" in front of the references)

Passed the issue above, you still have to address all the breaking changes that were introduced from 6.1.8 until 6.1.12.
You will find these breaking changes in the Release Notes at http://drc.ideablade.com/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/release-notes

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 1:04pm
Thx Sbelini,
Can you pls direct me where is Specific Version located?
Is it in Solution property
My solution has almost 50 projects.
Thx
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 1:34pm
Peter,

In the "References" folder, right-click in the assembly reference and select "Properties".
You can also select multiple assemblies and right-click/select "Properties".

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 9:48am
The reason i upgrade my Devforce to 6.1.12 is to use new fetures.The question is if i Put the Specific version=False am i still be able to use the new features?

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 9:55am
the steps for upgrading the project was as below:
1- I installed 6.1.12.
2-I opened the projects(In solution 5 projects which every single project has his own refences some coming from
C:/ProgramFilesX86\DevForce2010\DesktopAssemblies....)
3- I realized some projects refrences have been updated to 6.1.12 and some have not("!").For thos one i changed the Specific verion=true.and rebuild the solution.
4- I also re-generated the Model by refreshing one of the view and save and rebuild the Model.

Still i get tons of errors:(

Am i missing something?
thx
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 10:09am
Peter,

Regarding your first question - Yes, you will be able to use the new features even if you have Specific Version set to False. In fact, I suggest you have Specific Version set to False ALWAYS.

Regarding your second question - You are most likely missing many things. Have you been over the breaking changes in the Release Notes? Unless you address all of them you will have errors.

After you address all the breaking changes, if you still have errors, provide the error messages so we can evaluate what the issue is.
Remember, you must clear all the breaking changes first.

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 12:49pm
Im using Nuget but why Postsharp is involved?
Can i just install Devforce 6.1.12 regular way?
where is Full ducment of Upgrading ?
What is Breaking changes?
the link i got
just goes to the notes?
thx
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 1:23pm
Peter,

Every version of DevForce, might or might not have changes that would need modifications in your code in order to compile - that's why it's called a breaking change. This is a fairly common term in software development. (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/breaking_change)
If you click in the Release Notes link and look at the left side of the screen, you will see the version numbers. Start at the version next to the one you are using - i.e. you are using v6.1.7, so start at v6.1.8.
Click on the version 6.1.8 Release Notes link, check if there are breaking changes. If there are any, the release notes will explain them and indicate how to address them. Once you do that, move to the next version (i.e. 6.1.9) and repeat the process. Do this for every version until you get to the most recent version.
I hope this is clear enough for you.

Kind regards,
   sbelini.

Edited by sbelini - 21-Mar-2013 at 1:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 2:25pm
Thx,
Now I figured out i should install 6.1.9
when i go to install it via Package Manager Console

PM> Install-Package IdeaBlade.DevForce-2010.Aop -Version 6.1.9

i get this error:
RemoveAAssembly : The term 'RemoveAAssembly' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path
at ... \packages\IdeaBlade.DevForce-2010.Aop.6.1.9\tools\uninstall.ps1:22 char:3
was included, verify that the path is correct and try again

RemoveAAssembly : The term 'RemoveAAssembly' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path

was included, verify that the path is correct and try again

was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterProva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2013 at 8:05am
Hi again
I have 6.1.7 .Lets say if i want to upgrade all of them one by one 6.1.8-6.1.12.
where can i find 6.1. and after ?because Thru Nuget just shows the lates 6.1.12.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>