FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple Models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DataMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote DataMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple Models
    Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 7:00am

THe application that I am creating can be sold to companies using different ERP systems like Microsoft GP, Axapta, and Standalone.  I have built three seperate models in different visual studio projects and depending on which backend ERP system the user has I simply send them the install files that has the proper model.dll file for their backend.

I'm trying to limit the amount of work that it takes to modify those 3 model projects.  Currently any changes I make in one I have to make sure I make in all of them.

There are only 4 classes/tables that are different in each backend database type and the other 20 or so are the same.  I was thinking I would split the 20 tables into a single model file and the different tables would stay in three other model files.  Then I can change the 20 all I want and I wouldn't have to worry about syncing them up.

So I would have:
App_base_model  contains 20 tables A,B,C etc
App_GP_Model  contains 4 tables  w1,x1,y1,z1
App_StandAlone_Model contains 4 tables  w2,x2,y2,z2
App_AX_Model contains 4 tables  w3,x3,y3,z3

The first issue that I can see is relationships between the two models.  Can you programtically create a relationship between 2 different model files?  i.e. a relationship between A ->w1?  I know that you can create relationships in code but this would be a relationship between 2 different models.

Are there any other issues with the persistance manager that would need to be addressed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply