FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Documentation Mishaps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mrodriguez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Documentation Mishaps
    Posted: 02-Mar-2009 at 9:17am
This is what I've found so far: 

The developer's guide has 20 broken references. They can be found by searching for the string "Error! Reference source not found" in the PDF.

The DevForce installer does not contain all the available tutorials (learning units). In order to get all the tutorials you must download them manually at: "http://www.ideablade.com/learningmaterials.html". I found this when I was looking for a tutorial mentioned in the developer's guide.

The learning unit "Learning Units\200 Intermediate\Handling Concurrency Conflicts" does not have initial solution or guide.

The learning unit "Learning Units\200 Intermediate\Using a GridBuilder" does not have initial solution or guide.

The learning unit "Learning Units\200 Intermediate\Verification" does not have initial solution or guide.

Mike
GregD View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 12:11pm
Thanks for the heads up on the broken references, Mike. I've found those cross references to be quite fragile (e.g., easily broken when material is reorganized) and have removed tons of them, over time, from the Developers Guide.  Looks like I have 20 more to replace.

The page http://www.ideablade.com/learningmaterials.html is no longer linked from anywhere on our web site (or in any event isn't supposed to be).  The material only applied to DevForce Classic, not DevForce EF, and is out of date in any case. You should use only the materials installed with the product. We'll be redirecting that URL so it doesn't expose the out-of-date materials.

The learning units, by design, have many different states. Some include full tutorials; some include only ReadMe or other documentation; and some contain only undocumented code solutions.  There is not always time to document everything to the same level of completeness, but many people find the incompletely documented and even undocumented solutions we make available to be useful nonetheless.

I appreciate your taking the time to communicate with us about errors and problems that you find in the docs and learning materials. It helps us to improve them.

Best regards,

Greg Dunn

Training and Documentation Manager

IdeaBlade

Post Reply Post Reply