FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Compact Framework

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMosselman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JMosselman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compact Framework
    Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 2:53am
Hello,

I'm evaluating DevForce, and it looks great. I can target WinForms and WebForms with the same model.
My question is if it is possible to use this on the .NET Compact Framework. I think it should be possible to compile the model for CF, as far as I can see no classes are used which are not supported on CF.
But to do that, I need ofcours that some DevForce assemblies are available as CF version. Do you have them? Or would it be possible to compile them for CF if I would have the code?
The PersistenceServer is not needed on CF, PersistenceManager is enough. Then I'm able to create a PDA app for a n-tier deployment, which can be occasionally disconnected.

If I would be able to use DevForce on the PDA, beside WinForms and WebForms, that would be very, very great.
I have several domains where I want some or all these targets as clients.

Regards,
Jaap
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 10:01am
Unfortunately, DevForce is not supported on the Compact Framework.  The biggest problem is that Remoting and Serialization are not supported, so there is no way to transfer data between Client and Server.
JMosselman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JMosselman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 11:04am
Would id be an option to expose the business objects via webservices or WCF, so they can be consumed by a Compact Framework application?
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 11:13am

I'm not sure about WCF, but our standard response to this question has been to use Web Services.  You can create and consume Web Services on both the machine running the DevForce application and the compact device.  We do have some customers who have deployed such a solution.

Post Reply Post Reply