FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SessionEncryptionKey Best Practices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SessionEncryptionKey Best Practices
    Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 7:38pm
Out-of-the-box, DevForce does not use a secure binding for communications between client applications and a BOS, but this is easily done by using a .config file containing WCF ServiceModel configuration.  Here are some sample configuration files showing various security options.  We don't yet have an end-to-end tutorial, but that will be coming within the next release or so.

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 1:35pm
Haven't tried SSL outside of IIS, but I'd guess it would work with a Windows Service too. 

I'll need to check around for any examples; we might have to whip up something for you.
dkearney1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dkearney1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 12:12pm
Got it, the SessionBundle is what's protected out-of-the-box.

"... user SSL or customize the binding stack to add security features."

Can or cannot be done when using the BOS as a service (ServerService.v4.exe)?

Where would I find an examples?
Dan
“In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.”
Saint-Exupéry
Wind, Sand, and Stars
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 10:58am
The SessionBundle stores encrypted credentials, and those credentials will be encrypted using the SessionEncryptionKey if provided, otherwise a default hardcoded key is used.  The SessionBundle is created by a Login call (whether performed explicitly or implicitly by the framework), and then passed as part of the message in all subsequent calls. 

The encryption key is actually used to generated a salted hash key, which is then used to encrypt the credentials using AES.  The default hardcoded key can be obtained from the DevForce assemblies using a disassembler, which is why you might want to specify your own SessionEncryptionKey.

Since encryption is done only on the credentials, if you need to secure the entire message you should use SSL or customize the binding stack to add security features.
dkearney1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dkearney1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 8:38pm
I'm looking for more information on the use and effects of the SessionEncryptionKey attribute of the ObjectServer node in the app.config.

Is there a good reason to override the default?
Is it a random string?
Does it protect only the SessionBundle, or does it protect all data passed between the client and the BOS?

In the end I want to tell my customers that I'm doing my part to protect their data as it's travelling through the wild, and I'm not sure I understand enough to say so confidently.
Dan
“In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.”
Saint-Exupéry
Wind, Sand, and Stars
 Post Reply Post Reply