FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

64-bit operating systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shanah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote shanah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64-bit operating systems
    Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 10:23am
The installation instructions state:

64-bit operating systems are not currently supported by the DevForce Silverlight Release Candidates.

We are currently using DevForceSL RC1 on 64-bit operating system without troubles so far, but would like a heads-up on what we may run into.

What issues did you encounter that prevented supporting 64-bit?

bm0061 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bm0061 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2009 at 3:40pm
I would very much like to try DevForce SL however I am running on a 64-bit OS. Although the installation failed and the docs state that 64-bit is not supported, I notice that others appear to have successfully installed and are running on 64-bit.  Recognizing that Silverlight 3 is still in beta and that I may assume all risks in using unsupported software, is there any chance that you may direct me on installation?  eg. If I can extract all from the MSI, is everything managed code that I may simply place into requisite folders?

Thanks
bm0061 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bm0061 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 6:47am
Hello, I would really like to try your product.  Can you please reply to my previous post?
Thanks.
IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 12:38pm

We still have a number of installer issues that need to be fixed to support 64-bit Windows.  The process is quite complicated since we have to hook into Visual Studio in several areas, so it's not quite feasible to do this manually.

If you don't mind setting up a virtual machine, everything should work inside a 32-bit guest OS.  Here's the link to the download for Virtual PC:

shanah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote shanah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 1:08pm
We were able to install DevForce on a 64-bit machine with only one issue -- the Project Templates were not placed in the correct location.  Our solution was to request the templates from support, and then placed them in the User Project Templates Location that is set in Visual Studio options.

There may be other issues we haven't run into yet, but that enabled us to use the product.
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 2:00pm
We now have a fix for this problem.  It will be available in our next release.  In the meantime, you can use the advertised workaround.  If you use the workaround, the templates will be installed to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates
If that is not where you want the templates, you can move them.
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 2:09pm
We have an improved cookbook for this install at:

JoshO View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoshO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2009 at 11:05am
Originally posted by davidklitzke

We have an improved cookbook for this install at:

You can download the 64-bit compatible version on our website: http://www.ideablade.com/DevForceSilverlight/DevForceSilverlight_DownloadEditions.aspx
Click on the text link: "Click here for the 64-bit Version" under the big green "Try Now" button.

Our next release of DevForce Silverlight in early May will have the 64-bit version incorporated into one installation with
the 32-bit version.
 Post Reply Post Reply