New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: A minor bug or adjustment in Explorer- Not really!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A minor bug or adjustment in Explorer- Not really!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A minor bug or adjustment in Explorer- Not really!
    Posted: 15-Apr-2009 at 7:26pm
As you start the app, it automatically calls "Get all customers" method. So, if you select that same query from the drop down, it will not execute the query, since the query and the data are in the cache. Now, if you click on "Clear" button, the data gets cleared but not the query. So, you can not run that query again, because it is still holding on to the old query. Unless you replace it with another query "Get customers with A" then you can re select the "Get all customers"!

[Update] Ok, I didn't realize there is a button to the left of the combo box to do a query. So, if we clear the data, the only way to get that data back, is clicking on the Query button and not the combo selection.

Edited by BenHayat - 15-Apr-2009 at 7:53pm
Best Regards!
..Ben

WPF & Silverlight Insider
http://www.MicroIntelligence.Com
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2009 at 6:10am
Thanks for explaining that to folks. That's why we have the Query button.

To be a bit more precise, changing the selected query triggers a query. In your example, the selected query is not changed by clearing the cache so the application does not know to re-query.

In principle, we could have re-queried after Clear (and certain other button clicks) ... but that would have interferred with some of the DevForce exploratory scenarios.

For example, I like to show that the app keeps working after you disconnect ... but you get no query results if you then re-query when the cache is empty. To illustrate this, I could prescribe the sequence {Disconnect, Clear}. But I found that I myself often went {Clear, Disconnect}. If we were to auto-re-query, the first path would return the expected "no results"; the second path would always return the orginal results ... which I think would confuse people.

Can you see why?

Hint: {Clear, Disconnect, Clear} would do the job; there would be no displayed results.

Rather than have to explain all of this upfront, we decided that auto-query would occur ONLY on application launch.
BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2009 at 6:28am
Your point is well taken! As I always say, no one knows the real truth about a program, except the person who wrote it; :-)

I brought it up, because I didn't want people to think (like I did at first), it's a bug!
Best Regards!
..Ben

WPF & Silverlight Insider
http://www.MicroIntelligence.Com
 Post Reply Post Reply