FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

1628: failed to complete installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sas79gi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sas79gi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1628: failed to complete installation
    Posted: 20-Jul-2009 at 6:47pm

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install WinClient, but getting the following error:

1628: failed to complete installation

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2009 at 8:38am
This is an InstallShield installation error.   You should find some information from the web if you search on "InstallShield 1628".  One common piece of advice is to clean out your Temp directory although I have never found this to be helpful myself.  What often seems to work for me is to look for this folder:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information

Delete the file named:

{033CCC56-7748-4C6D-9136-CB78B7DE761C}

If that does not work, try deleting all files in this directory.
sas79gi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sas79gi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2009 at 6:39pm

Hi there,

I tried everything from the internet and also your suggested fix (deleted a particular directory) but still 1628 error is coming. I have even tried to update Windows Installer Engine, but again no luck.

I do not know why the error is coming.....could it be because DevForce have used InstallShield incorrectly.......because I have a clean Windows Vista with latest service packs and updates. I was thinking to evaluate DevForce and other competive products....but seems like if I cannot  install DevForce on just one computer, I should forgot about recomend this to my company.

Thanks
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2009 at 7:05am
Does "IdeaBlade DevForce" show up in "Add/Remove Programs"?  If so, you might try this advice from the "Troubleshooting" section of the Installation Guide.

Microsoft provides a tool, the “Windows Installer Cleanup Utility” that will uninstall just about anything:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
eraubenheimer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eraubenheimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2009 at 7:44am
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">

I'm also getting the same issue. IdeaBlade fails during the "Preparing to install".

I've tried all the recommendations on the internet but still no luck.

Please advice.

IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2009 at 5:17pm
I see this when an Install results in an incomplete installation.

This is what usually works for me;

(1) Go to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information

(2) Delete the contents of this folder.

(3) Try uninstalling the incomplete installation again using "Add/Remove Programs".

(4) You should get a message like: "An error occurred while trying to uninstall IdeaBlade DevForce.  It may have already been uninstalled.  Would you line to remove IdesBlade DevForce from the Programs and Features list?"

(5) Select "Yes".

Post Options Post Options   Quote eraubenheimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2009 at 11:25pm

Good day, the IdeaBlade DevForce still fails. If delete all the files as requested.

But I can't see any instance of DevForce registered in my Programs and Features. The installation fails before the product registers in the Windows Installer.

I'm using Windows Vista.

I see you using InstallShield and I experience these kinds of things before while working with InstallShield, is it possible to release a self contained installation (.exe)?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Alternatively I'll try and install your product on my XP Machine.

IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2009 at 3:05pm
This is an InstallShield problem.  You need to fix the problem.  I apologize for how painful this may be.

There is no other way to install our product other than through an InstallShield setup.exe.

The next thing I would try is the “Windows Installer Cleanup Utility”.  Microsoft provides a tool, the “Windows Installer Cleanup Utility” that will uninstall just about anything:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

You can also search the web for "InstallShield 1628".  For example, try this link.

I have not had a lot of luck trying these suggestions, but maybe it will work for you.

Post Options Post Options   Quote eraubenheimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2009 at 1:25am
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2009 at 10:19am

Did you try the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility"?

We use InstallScript-MSI which produces a setup.exe that has an embedded MSI,

The next version of DevForce is in early October.
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2010 at 9:08am
There is a way to fix this, but I am reluctant to tell people about it because it can be very dangerous.  It involves deleting a key from the registry.If you delete a registry key , it can have very bad consequences for the application that owns the registry key.  You may find that Add/Remove Programs no longer works with the application.  Because of this reluctance, I will only give out instructions to those people who specifically request this information.  If you still want to kinow how to do this, send me an email at davidk@ideablade.com

Edited by davidklitzke - 02-Feb-2010 at 10:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply