FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RIA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIA
    Posted: 10-Sep-2009 at 10:41am
I am new to IdeaBlade and am just starting to check it out.

I watched the MIX video and was impressed with the demo app.

One question that sticks out is "How does the new RIA data services fit in with the IdeaBlade framework?"

I did a search and didn't find anything on the forums.

I would like to create a Silverlight App, and think that IdeaBlade would fit nicely into the picture, but I am unsure if possibly RIA does the same time of thing that IdeaBlade does.

Thanks

Greg
michaeld View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote michaeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2009 at 6:43am
We are to .NET RIA Services as Infragistic UI controls are to Microsoft standard controls.  We support and honor all the attributes and APIs but are dedicated to extending the capabilities above and beyond a standard set of technologies.  Our sole business is Data Services.

We have dedicated a page on our site discussing some of these issues.  Check it out here...  http://www.ideablade.com/DevForceSilverlight/DevForceAndRIAservices.aspx.

If you have further questions I'd be happy to discuss in more detail with you.

Michael Davis

Edited by michaeld - 14-Sep-2009 at 12:31pm
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2009 at 8:05am
OK, I read the links you posted.  That helps a lot.

One point I didn't see mentioned between the two is "Which has the lowest learning curve?"  I am hoping IdeaBlade!

Greg
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2009 at 1:14pm
Ok .. "IdeaBlade has the lower learning curve".

Seriously, RIA Services (RIAS) is an important initiative for Microsoft and we expect a first-class community to grow around it ... when it emerges from CTP. It's a moving target right now so TODAY we might be easier to learn simply because we have a big head start.

I expect this to change. The Microsoft folks care a lot about adoption and ease of use. They are big and they close fast.

I can't tell you if you will find us easier to learn or RIAS easier to learn. So much depends upon who you are, your background, and the features that you value. While you're thinking about ease-of-learning, you'll also want to focus on where you need to be when you deliver your application ... not just where you are at the start. And our bias should be obvious and expected.

I can't speak for RIAS ... and wouldn't if I could. I can speak for our commitment to ease-of-learning and ease-of-use.

We think these principles are critical to our present and long-term success and are investing continually in features, training materials, and support to improve your experience. We're proud of our Object Mapper and the way your DevForce business model is the same on server and client; full LINQ on the client should make your code more natural and easy to follow; we think these things contribute hugely to your ability to learn and maintain your application.

We've been at this a long time. We're easy to reach.

Just remember : RIAS is a tiny piece of Microsoft business; DevForce is our business. We are "all in".

Give us a try.

gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2009 at 7:18am
Thanks Ward, I love your sence of humor by the way.

I have downloaded DevForce and am going to put in some time on learning it.  I think certainly there is better documentation around DevForce, what I have found so far on RIAS has been pretty sparse.

Greg
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2011 at 7:36am
OK, here it is one year later, still working on the same project.  I originally decided to go with WCF Ria Services and to be blunt, it was a mistake.  I have torn out all the Ria services and replaced it with DevForce.

While the two are similiar in what they accomplish, my experiance with Ria services is that it is still poorly documented and difficult to work with in advanced scenerios.  Even though I really tried to make it work, Ria was not cutting it- and this is after a year of trying to make it work.  So I finally switched, and all the issues that were unresolvable in Ria (because Ria is not a finished product) were easily solved with DevForce.

So anyhow, if you are reading this wondering which way to go, take it from someone who has been there and tried both - DevForce is the ONLY way to go. 

Greg
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2011 at 11:39pm

Hi Greg - That certainly is gratifying to hear. I look forward to a long and fruitful partnership.

I am curious. Would you mind elaborating on your RIA Services frustrations (beyond their documentation which, I agree, is startlingly poor).

What "advanced scenarios" were difficult to pursue?
What "unresolvable issues" were resolved in DF?

I'm sure others would love to know.

Thanks,

W
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 7:31pm
Hi Ward,

Yes, I would be happy to write this up - will get onto it right away and get it sent to you and John L. 

Greg
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2011 at 8:26am
OK, I just sent this to John.

Greg

Edited by gregweb - 26-Jan-2011 at 8:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply