FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Compilation Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Toshan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toshan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compilation Error
    Posted: 10-Sep-2009 at 7:03pm
Hi There,

I am trying to compile one of the tutorials and I am getting the following error

IdeaBlade.Validation.ValidateInstance is not an attribute class. alon with other errors

The project I am trying to compile is

\IdeaBladeDevForce522\Learning Resources\030_BaseApps\SilverlightApps\Tutorials\100SLV_FourSimpleSteps\CodeCS

Any help wold be appriciated
GregD View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2009 at 1:18pm
We're not sure why you're getting that. You might try deleting and re-adding the references to IdeaBlade.Validation in the web and Silverlight projects.
GregD View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2009 at 2:13pm
Also be sure to regenerate code in the Object Mapper, if you have previously done so with that solution with another version of DevForce.
Toshan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toshan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2009 at 2:12pm
I have tried that but still no luck
Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2009 at 6:03pm
I'm having the exact same problem.
Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2009 at 7:41pm

I'm getting a bunch of errors but they all seem to be repeats of the one listed above and these that follow:

Error 6 The type 'System.ComponentModel.BindableAttribute' exists in both 'c:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\Silverlight\v3.0\system.dll' and 'c:\Program Files\IdeaBlade DevForce\SilverlightAssemblies\IdeaBlade.Core.SL.dll' c:\documents and settings\lloyd\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\silverlightapplication1\silverlightapplication1web\silverlightapplication1web.saletrotter.designer.cs 152 6 SilverlightApplication1
Error 7 The type or namespace name 'Bindable' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) c:\documents and settings\lloyd\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\silverlightapplication1\silverlightapplication1web\silverlightapplication1web.saletrotter.designer.cs 152 6 SilverlightApplication1
Error 20 The type or namespace name 'EditableAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) c:\documents and settings\lloyd\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\silverlightapplication1\silverlightapplication1web\silverlightapplication1web.saletrotter.designer.cs 208 6 SilverlightApplication1
Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2009 at 5:11am
Ok.  I tried the devforce Prism Explorer sample and was given the same error.  This leads me to believe that the problem is in my environment.

I'm using VS2008 pro and I've installed the  Silverlight 3 tools.  Are there other system requirements or build hints or settings that I'm missing. 

The demo's are terribly impressive but are just hollywood to my boss unless I can recreate them.

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2009 at 7:45am
That error indicates that you don't have the RTW of Silverlight 3 Tools installed, or maybe it wasn't a clean install.  Anyway, you can get the correct version here -- http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9442B0F2-7465-417A-88F3-5E7B5409E9DD&displaylang=en.

skingaby View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote skingaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2009 at 6:26am
One thing to check: Make sure your Silverlight folder is version \Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\3.0.40723.0.
We were having compile problems on different Developer's machines and discovered that we had two different versions of the the Silverlight 3 release. There was a 3.0.40624 version on the machine with the compile error. (It looks like there is a September update to 3.0.40818 too.)
Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2009 at 1:00pm
Yup, that was it.  I was missing the silverlight 3 tools too.  Should've rtfm, I think.

Unfortunately the videos were a bit hollywood.  I got the impression that the devforce tool would generate some rudimentary forms but it would appear that's still a manual process.  Being completely new to silverlight I was hoping the devforce could get me up and running a bit sooner.  I'm still sure it could but I think i need to learn a lot more than what i know now. 

Before I completely give up, am I right that no forms are generated and that in order to design any forms to use what is generated I need to do it in Expression Blend 3?

Thanks for all your help.
skingaby View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote skingaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2009 at 2:09pm
Cool. I'm going to let Ideablade answer the forms question, but I can take a shot at the "get me up and running a bit sooner" part.
Silverlight development is not easy. Most of the examples on the web are lame with absolutely ZERO depth and nothing but trivial code.
The more advanced Silverlight development community assumes the implementation of many patterns, that required me to level up my software engineering skills.
Lastly, the asynchronous nature of the Silverlight client is a total PITA to work with as even the simplest of data actions requires an async call to the server and a client side callback. This presents significant challenges in UI development because the user's CLICK and the apps response are disconnected by the async call to the server.
That being said, the MEV Explorer and Prism Explorer samples from Ideablade are non-trivial and very instructive. What Ideablade has provided for our team is that ALL of the ORM features are "handled" so we haven't had to write any code there, and ALL of the Async features are "handled" so we haven't had to write our own web services, server-client mappings, etc.   This has been a HUGE time saver for the development team. Our focus has really been on getting the UI up and running and on the implementation of non-trivial business logic (and yes we use Blend, though I am not the UI guy so I don't actually use Blend myself).

Edited by skingaby - 28-Sep-2009 at 2:09pm
GregD View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2009 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Lloyd

Unfortunately the videos were a bit hollywood.  I got the impression that the devforce tool would generate some rudimentary forms but it would appear that's still a manual process. 

...am I right that no forms are generated and that in order to design any forms to use what is generated I need to do it in Expression Blend 3?

We don't provide much specific help in UI development. What we do, as skingaby has so generously taken his time to describe, is to take a number of other very difficult problems off your plate so the overall size of the development task is much reduced.

Expression Blend is not your only choice for UI development: you can do it in Visual Studio, and you can write XAML with a text editor. I quite like Expression Blend myself, but many developers don't stray out of Visual Studio, especially those who are less visually (and more code-) oriented.

Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2009 at 4:16am

Thanks so much for your help.  Once I figure out the UI stuff I'm going to be right back here and as excited about silverlight as I was before.  It's a great product backed by a great company.  Your attention to detail in your documentation and customer service really sets a new standard.  Well done.

Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2009 at 4:17am
That should read that Devforce is a great product backed by a great company.  The jury is still out for me on Silverlight.  ;-)
GregD View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2009 at 1:15pm
There's definitely a learning curve, but compared to the tangle of jury-rigged stuff that you have to learn to do ASP.NET applications, I find the return on investment quite a bit better for Silverlight. The UI stuff is really very cool, and quite coherent in its design.  I only get to look at it every so often, but I always find myself eager to penetrate a little deeper. It accommodates so many amazing and wonderful things!

Post Reply Post Reply