New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Remoting with iis 7
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Remoting with iis 7

 Post Reply Post Reply
lars-erik View Drop Down

Joined: 15-Oct-2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 19
Post Options Post Options   Quote lars-erik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remoting with iis 7
    Posted: 14-Sep-2009 at 1:01pm

I have a strange problem with iis 7. I run my client from a computer no 1 - everything works fine. Then I run it from computer no 2- then it doesn't get contact with BOS at all (404 error I think it was...). Then I rerun the client at computer no. 1 - then it doesn't work here either. Then I retry the same after some hours, but in the opposite sequence - then the same thing happens: the first client that connects succeds, but any other client breaks the whole thing.

I have checked the IIS application pool - it is still running  - no errors at server, and nothing in the Debuglog.
I have also checked that machinename in web.config is correct.
I am running the application pool as a classic pool.
Everything works fine on all IIS 6 servers though..but not on IIS 7.
It seems to me like the singleton object is dying...
Back to Top
JoshO View Drop Down

Joined: 09-May-2007
Location: United States
Posts: 86
Post Options Post Options   Quote JoshO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2009 at 1:22pm
The problem you are encountering does occur 100% of the time when using .NET Remoting with an application pool in "Integrated" mode. "Classic" mode is supposed to solve this by emulating an IIS 6 server but does not seem to have exactly the same behavior. I found a fix on MSDN which you need to add to your web.config:
   This problem occurs because of a Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0 security enhancement in Windows Vista. When a client computer activates a COM+ SOAP-enabled server, .NET Framework remoting generates a URL. However, the URL that .NET Framework remoting generates contains a double escape sequence. By default, IIS 7.0 rejects URLs that contain a double escape sequence. Therefore, IIS 7.0 denies the request with a 404.11 (not found) error message, and the server activation fails.

Note URLs that contain a double escape sequence work in earlier versions of IIS.

In order to fix this, I had to add a <security> section under <system.webServer> :

   <requestFiltering allowDoubleEscaping="True"/>
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down