FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Installation Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installation Issue
    Posted: 07-Mar-2010 at 5:45am
I'm getting these errors with DevForceUniversal 5.2.6 Express installation on Windows7 32bit, VS2010 RC 32bit.

Product: IdeaBlade DevForce -- Error 1606.Could not access network location \Visual Basic.
Product: IdeaBlade DevForce -- Error 1606.Could not access network location \Visual C#.

Previous forum post suggests this is an issue with loading DF VS Project Templates into %userprofile% path which may not be accessible as described in registry key...

Can you please shed some light on what I might need to do here.

VS2010 registry key UserProjectsTemplatesLocation has been ammended to use physical path c:\Users\Dominic\Documents... etc

Rgds
BigFish
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2010 at 8:47am
There is a backup Templates folder in the installation directory.  There is a separate backup folder for VS2008 and VS2010.
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2010 at 3:09pm
Sorry David, I cannot get the installation to complete from the IdeaBladeDevForce5.2.6.setup application.

It errors with the above messages, then completes with failure, and nothing installed.

There is no installation directory to speak of... (that I can find in any case).

I suspect the installer package is trying to write files but cannot as its not finding the correct physical path or its blocked by invalid credentials.  I'm running the IdeaBladeDevForce5.2.6.setup application as Administrator.

This environment is Windows7 32 bit, VS2010 RC 32bit running in Windows Virtual PC guest.  Fresh install of Windows7, VS2010, Silverlight3tools, nothing else.

Hoping IB can shed some light pleae.  I really need to get DFU installed for some prototyping this week.
JoshO View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoshO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2010 at 11:51pm
We have not seen this before but I "googled" the error and there are plenty of reports of this problem in Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. The applications mentioned have been everything from Adobe, Snag-It, i-Tunes and on and on. The problem is with the folder path value in the registry for the Current User's profile "Shell Folders" and/or "User Shell Folders" as reported by InstallShield and Microsoft. There have even been reports a missing %APPDATA% environment variable. You can put a valid path entry yourself or create a new Windows user and perform the installation again.
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 2:54am
Good find!

Specifically, I am looking for these two registry keys:

if (helper.Is64BitOS()) {
            regKey = Registry.LocalMachine.CreateSubKey(msRegistry64bitIdeaBladev4KeyName);
        } else {
            regKey = Registry.LocalMachine.CreateSubKey(msRegistryIdeaBladev4KeyName);
        }if (just4me) {
            shellFoldersKey = Registry.CurrentUser.CreateSubKey(msRegistryShellFolders);
            regKey.SetValue("LearningResourcesLocation", (String)shellFoldersKey.GetValue("Personal") + "\\DevForce");
        } else {
            shellFoldersKey = Registry.LocalMachine.CreateSubKey(msRegistryShellFolders);
            regKey.SetValue("LearningResourcesLocation", (String)shellFoldersKey.GetValue("Common Documents") + "\\DevForce");
        }

private const String msRegistryShellFolders = @"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders";
    private static String msRegistryIdeaBladev4KeyName = @"SOFTWARE\IdeaBladev4";
    private static String msRegistry64bitIdeaBladev4KeyName = @"SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IdeaBladev4";
I will file a bug, and use a reasonable default if I can't find either key.

If you are correct, the problem is not with the setting of the UserProjectTemplates location, but the setting of the LearningResourcesLocation.
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 3:15am
Josh,

I am not sure that this explains BigFish's problem.  The problem would appear to be in the UserProjectsTemplatesLocation, not with the LearningResourcesLocation.

BigFish said earlier:

VS2010 registry key UserProjectsTemplatesLocation has been ammended to use physical path c:\Users\Dominic\Documents... etc

bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 8:39am

Thanks, I didn't think to Google it. My bad.  I made the change to the regsitry key UserProjectsTemplatePath from  %userprofile% to c:\users\dominic\... as per earlier post on IB, but this had no effect.  Sorry if that's led you up the garden path.

There is a registry key as follows: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IdeaBladev4\LearningResourcesLocation - set to c:\Users\Public\Documents\DevForce - the DevForce folder missing - not yet created - I created it, no better.

There is no Wow6432Node key at all in the registry...

I did try and create a new user as per Josh's suggestion.  Unfortunatelky it seems I've installed VS2010 only for the original user not for anyone who users the workstation.  I'm not sure if this was by MS default or not, can't recall.  It's a substantial duration to uninstall and reinstall VS2010, so I'd rather leave that as a final option until we've exhausted others...

Rgds
BigFish
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 8:47am
Further:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Common AppData - set to C:\ProgramData

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Common AppData - set to %ProgramData%

Hope that helps with the debug.  Please let me know what else might be useful...

IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 9:35am
These values look correct.  At least, I can confirm that I have the same values on my Windows 7 machine, and my templates install fine.
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 9:55am

What do you have for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 10:13am

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData - set to c:\Users\Dominic\AppData\Roaming

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Local AppData - set to c:\Users\Dominic\AppData\Local

both folders exist, no IdeaBlade or DevForce folders within them...

IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 10:42am
Just to be thorough, what about:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 10:55am
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Local AppData - set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData - set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming
JoshO View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoshO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 11:12am
Ok, let's take a step back. Does your VM have any mapped drives ? If you are using the new Windows Virtual PC and have enabled the "Integration" features then you may have shared the drives on your host machine. If so, then you will have more than just "C:" listed on your VM and you will need to temporarily turn off drive sharing. Then try the installation with only c: drive available.
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 11:18am
no, I did not have remote mapped drives - only had ISO dvd drive which I unmapped so only c: visible, still no go.
robert.hui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote robert.hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2010 at 3:20pm
I ran into the same issue - the DevForce installer is inspecting the values for VS's projects location, project template and item template locations. In VS 2010, it's under Options -> Projects and Solutions -> General.

My settings had been gaffed (my documents is tied to a network drive, and at one point was not available when I loaded up VS 2010). Since then, VS had defaulted to an unknown directory structure.

Once I updated those locations to what they should be, (i.e. y:\docs\Visual Studio 2010\Projects, in my case), the installer ran fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply