New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Does DevForce already have some functionality built in to persist the data to a local database
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Does DevForce already have some functionality built in to persist the data to a local database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does DevForce already have some functionality built in to persist the data to a local database
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 3:24pm

Currently, we are downloading the data into memory and persisting the information to the Harddrive when the application closes and then reading that data again when it loads back up. Pretty standard stuff. Now they are asking if we can use SQL Server Express 2005 instead of just serializing the data to the hard drive.

My question is, does DevForce already have some functionality built in to persist the data to a local database. If so, what document would contain this information? I probably will have more questions but if there is some documentation, I’ll read that first.

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 3:25pm
This is a perfectly natural decision for your client to make.  We have other customers who have started out using the local file system to support disconnected users, but at some point switched over to using a local database such as SQL Server Express.  This is often a function of the amount of data that you want to allocate for disconnected use.  If the size of this data grows beyond some limit, you will probably want to migrate to using a local database.

If you are working with a local database and a remote database at the same time, you should open two Persistence Managers and use PM.ImportEntities to move the data between the two Persistence managers.

Another problem that you are likely to face is the problem of how to programmatically merge the differences in the two databases. You can do this yourself, or you can use some third party database merge tool.

I will upload a sample application that uses a similar schema for two different databases, and updates both databases at the same time.

Post Reply Post Reply