FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How To Ignore a Field

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Ignore a Field
    Posted: 22-Jan-2011 at 9:55pm
Say I have a table with three fields.  But I only want two of them to come accross the wire.  Is there a way to tell DevForce to ignore the 3rd field?  This would keep the data much smaller coming across the wire.

Greg
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2011 at 12:09pm
Hi Greg,

What is your case scenario?
Are you trying to ignore the field for certain users, but not for others? (i.e. a conditional 'ignore') Or are you want to ignore the field for everyone?

We have these as feature requests in our list, but unfortunatelly don't have the functionality yet.

Silvio.
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2011 at 6:50pm
I would like to have it ignored for everyone.  In Ria Services, they have the "Ignore" attribute and it is makes it so it is never downloaded.   It's not that important, but it would be nice. 
smi-mark View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote smi-mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 8:07am
If you NEVER need to use it in your model, shouldn't deleting it from the EDM designer accomplish this? I haven't tested it so I'm not sure.
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 9:06am
Hi smi-mark,

I thought about it and neglected to mention it.
Since Greg seems to be coming from the "RIA world" I assumed that he was looking for the same 'ignore' functionality where you can still make use of the ignored property in the server.

And yes, if you delete the property from your model, it will not be part of the model at all. Just be sure you are not deleting a non-nullable field.
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 7:28pm
Hi Silvio,

Yes, that should work just fine.  I should have thought of that myself!

Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply