FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Validation of new records?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mseeli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mseeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Validation of new records?
    Posted: 08-Jun-2011 at 8:57am
Can someone explain the following behavoiur?

In a DevForce Silverlight 4 application I have an entity that has a not nullable field called "Name" (amoung others)

In my Viewmodel I use a async query to get the data from the server and then I fill the results into an ObervableCollection<T> which is then bound to a Grid (Itemsource) on the view

That works fine, the records appear in the grid and I can edit them. When I delete the content of the Field "Name" it turns red and an error message pops up. Just as one would expect.

I then go and add a new Entity to my Collection, so that it ends up in the database

Manager ist my EntityManager, Persons is my ObservableCollection<Person> that is bound to the grid

I do something like this:

var et = new Person();
            et.Id = Guid.NewGuid();
            et.Name = "New Name";
            Manager.AddEntity(et);
            Persons.Add(et);

The new Person shows up in the grid and when I do a SaveAsync later it also ends up in my database.
What is strange and what I don't quite understand is that when I go and delete the content of the Field Name
in the newly created person - no error shows up

It seems a entity has to be saved first before it is validated.

What is the reason for this behaviour?

1. A bug in the DevExpress Grid that I am using?
2. A bug somewhere else in my code?
3. A bug in DevForce?
4. Or is this the normal behaviour and I have to do something extra to get 
it to validate a freshly added record?

can you enlighten me?
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 12:14pm
Hi mseeli,

I am taking a look at this and will follow up shortly.
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2011 at 5:18pm
Hi meeli,
I was not able to reproduce your issue here. Can you provide a test solution demonstrating the problem?
Attached is my test solution. (using sdk datagrid) In it, after I add a new record, it validates properly if I delete data from a non-nullable field. (before or after the save)
uploads/892/SLDataValidation.zip
Kind regards,
Silvio.
 Post Reply Post Reply