FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

converting from Ria Step by Step

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Oscar_Agreda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oscar_Agreda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: converting from Ria Step by Step
    Posted: 15-Jul-2011 at 4:30pm
so far I have this Full Sample Ria Services Application, in case you have the time

medlink

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oscar_Agreda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 9:09am
Hi Ward -

Ok, we can use the tools you already use

-the NorthwindIB database

-the Free Silverlight Toolkit from Microsoft (you explain how to get it from codeplex in your videos) .. no 3rd party controls.

-a very simple and basic Ria Services Application, that Retrieves data, Saves records, Deletes and Create new records, with a few tables and not so much complexity as the kung fu. mvvm

something that the new IdeaBlade user can use to convince the end customer to use IdeaBlade

Regards
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 6:19pm
Do you have a sample RIA app that we can convert? I'm not sure it is fair for us to write both ... someone might think we were stacking the deck against RIA with our implementation. So do you have a suggestion?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oscar_Agreda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 5:41pm
Thank you.

yes that Kung fu MvvM implementation they put together for John Papa is great.

also, in the case that we are developing a Business Application for a customer, the only way we can convince them to go with IdeaBlade instead of Ria and saving us many headaches down the road, is to be able to show the customer the difference.

we could say, look mister customer the same application but with IdeaBlade... do you see the difference.. then he/she will say. ok  I want IdeaBlade now, how much is it, go get 2 licensees to start with.

I think the sample application needs to be very basic, and to include, maybe just 3 tables

Master/Child
CRUD
Loading Related child tables in a combobox
loading a list of data in a dataGrid, and put as much functionality into that Grid, like filtering, search, on selectionchange, on RowLoaded,

but it has to be very simple, and at the same time be able to show off the power of IdeaBlade.. because EVERYBODY knows IdeaBlade is way better than Ria, but the customers need to see it with their own eyes.

The Kung Fu MvvM Implementation is great, but from a customer stand point, it has way too much stuff they don't understand nor need, so they will say, what is that.. that is not the application i want, my application has nothing to do with a BookClub.. they could also say, the IdeaBlade application is faster but is because it uses better code...   i hope you get my point. that by having one simple 3 or 4 tables applcation *invoices maybe* and we could run those 2 side by side and see the power of it.

showing off this
http://www.ideablade.com/DevForceSilverlight/DevForceAndRIAservices.aspx

Regards
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 1:45pm
Hi Oscar,

Right now the only side-by-side sample we have is for the BookShelf application, where Ward Bell took the PDC 2010 sample shown by John Papa and converted it to DevForce.  This is worth checking out, and there's both a video and code:  http://drc.ideablade.com/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/code-sample-bookshelf

Thanks for the suggestion on a step-by-step tutorial.  You're right we do need one.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oscar_Agreda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 1:32am
Hello, I have a Business Application done in Silver light using Ria services and MvvM (I use my own classes , not toolkits)

i wonder if my actual LinqQ calls (from the client , in MvvM, to the server in Ria ) will work on IdeaBlade, maybe out of the box

Do you have a step by step tutorial on converting Ria code into Ideablade, like for example one simple sample done first in ria and then in IdeaBlade so we can see what to change in MvvM.

I am sure every developer that lands here is looking for that video

Regards

Edited by Oscar_Agreda - 15-Jun-2011 at 5:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply