FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2-Tier with WPF Client

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-Tier with WPF Client
    Posted: 16-Jun-2011 at 6:51pm
Hi jradxl;

Yes, you're correct, in 2-tier, there's no BOS i.e. EntityServer running at all. All the query/save logic is performed via standard call/return in the single app domain and no service calls are made.  So, yes, it is DevForce intelligently choosing.
jradxl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jradxl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2011 at 3:26am
Hi,

My interest is 2-tier with a WPF Client (and a SQL Express database).
As I read the documentation it ploughs straight into 3-tier and I become unsure of what functionality I loose in 2-tier.

I assume that there is no EntityServer running at all. If there where, there would have to be one running on each client PC, as there is nowhere for a common one to run - which is why I am 2-tier.

Is the Business Object Server (BOS) just another term for the EntityServer?
Thus, my key question. What functionality of DevForce do I loose in 2-tier?
  -- do I have all Validation, Authentication, Authorising and Business Rule functionality

[Edit Update]
OK, I've read more of the docs, and found the code example, Console_SecurityWindowsAuthentication
I can see that the Server.dll gets instaniated by MEF as the Console client starts (in isDistributed="false" mode).
In fact I can remove all the config sections except the connection string, and the example still works.

So, that leads to a further question as to how the Client and Server are communicating in a single solution, which is self configuring?
Is there an implied WCF path - either as named pipes or tcp occuring. Or in this mode does DevForce intelligently use direct methods?

thanks
John

Edited by jradxl - 16-Jun-2011 at 2:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply