New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: How to display related object properties in an ASP.Net GridView/DetailsView control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How to display related object properties in an ASP.Net GridView/DetailsView control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to display related object properties in an ASP.Net GridView/DetailsView control
    Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 2:32pm

I've just spent the last couple of days reading the Concepts document and looking at some tutorials.

I still can't find anything which shows how to easily display related object properties in an ASP.Net GridView/DetailsView control. I mean, for example, where you retrieve a list of orders from the Orders table - you have foreign key fields in the table, such as CustomerId and EmployeeId. Those are meaningless, and naturally you want to display the Customer name, or the Employee.Fullname field rather than the Id column. 

Is there an easy way to do this? Do I have to create a custom property in the Order object, which shows the desired data? Even better would be to use something like "Bind('Order.Customer.Fullname')" in the declarative code for the GridView. I have no idea.

Could you throw some light on the subject? Is there a Funhouse Web ASP.Net application?

Post Reply Post Reply