FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Coroutine Start example

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coroutine Start example
    Posted: 30-Apr-2012 at 7:11pm
Hi Scott,

Referring to your original post, here's a post on our DRC showing how to do serial coroutines with function list. http://drc.ideablade.com/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/coroutine-function-list
scottarlp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scottarlp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 10:23am
Thank you. That's what I needed. I've been trying to yield the method itself instead of the Coroutine.Start() inside the Chain() method and it just didn't dawn on me to nest the Coroutine.Starts inside there. I was hoping to be able to do without the Chain method, but that'll work great for now.

Scott
esaulsberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote esaulsberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 8:00am
I think I see where you're going now.  DoThis and DoThat are themselves coroutine stacks?  In which case I think you'll need another level of wrapper.

private INotifyCompleted CallChain()
        {
            var op = IdeaBlade.EntityModel.Coroutine.Start(Chain);
            op.Completed += (s, a) =>
                {
                    if (op.CompletedSuccessfully)
                    {
                        // do something
                    }
                };
            return op;
        }
        private IEnumerable<INotifyCompleted> Chain()
        {
            var op1 = IdeaBlade.EntityModel.Coroutine.Start(() => DoThis(x));
            yield return op1;

var op2 = IdeaBlade.EntityModel.Coroutine.Start(DoThat);
            yield return op2;
        }

Post Options Post Options   Quote esaulsberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 7:44am
Scott,
Both DoThis and DoThat should be returning a single INotifyCompleted.  Are they?

If not perhaps seeing more of the guts of them would help.

Elton
scottarlp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scottarlp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 5:01am
Thanks for the replies. I need to run the two methods in serial (one is semi-dependent on the other), so I don't think parellel will do the trick. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I tried esaulsberry's example, but the yield return DoThis(int x) { ... } portion inside DoStuff() gives a convert expression error. The method is a IEnumable list of INotifyCompleted and yield is expecting a single INotifyCompleted result.

From looking at the overloads on Coroutine.Start(), it appeared there was a way to create a ienumable list you could pass and it would fire each in serial, but I either can't figure out the type of list (docs show something like IEnumerable<Func<INotifyCompleted>>) or it doesn't do what I thought it does.

I can of course have a Coroutine.Start(...) of one method and then on the completed of it fire the next one, but that's just a couple steps away from outside Coroutine purpose to begin with (daisy callbacks).

Post Options Post Options   Quote esaulsberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 2:10pm
If I understand you correctly, you'll need to add a method for the .Start() method to call, like this:

priviate IEnumerable<INotifyCompleted> DoStuff()
{
yield return DoThis(int x) { ... }

yield return DoThat() {...}
}

Now call that from somewhere:

public void DoAsyncStuffForMe()
{
Coroutine.Start(GetStatusData);
}

You can also set up the caller to notify when it's done:
public INotifiyCompleted DoAsyncStuffForMe(Action onSuccess)
{
var op = Coroutine.Start(GetStatusData);
op.Completed += (s, a) =>
{
if(a.CompletedSuccessfully && onSuccess != null)
{
onSuccess();
}
return op();
}

DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 2:06pm
Hi Scott,

Sounds like you might want to use Coroutine.StartParallel instead. http://drc.ideablade.com/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/parallel-async-coroutines
scottarlp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scottarlp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 12:36pm
I've apparently hit a dense point. I'm attempting to call multiple coroutine methods at once to keep from chaining the callbacks.

Given two methods like the following:

public IEnumerable<INotifyCompleted> DoThis(int x) { ... }
and
public IEnumerable<INotifyCompleted> DoThat() {...}

How do I construct (or can I) the list to call Coroutine.Start(...)? I was trying to create a IEnumerable<Func<INotifyCompleted>> list, but I'm not having any luck adding the methods.

Thanks for any help.
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply