FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Deployment issues: No endpoint listening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JohnBloom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnBloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deployment issues: No endpoint listening
    Posted: 04-Sep-2012 at 11:11am
Ok I did an xcopy deployment and it started working. So I removed all of the extra files from the xcopy deployment one at a time trying to find the file that was messing me up. I got the file structure exactly the same and it was still working.

Next I compared each file and they were all the same. Except the dll for the web project itself. That file was 2 kb smaller in the project that wasnt working. So I looked to see what my compile configuration was and it was set to release. I changed it to debug and it started working. 

I then switched from the sample application to our application and did the same thing. It also worked. I am now able to move forward but the issue is not completely resolved.

I think I have got it about as narrow of a scope as I can. Using xcopy or web deploy if the project is built in release mode it fails but if it is built in debug it works. 

Can you reproduce that?
-John Bloom
JohnBloom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnBloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 9:34am
I confirmed this again. My app was not working when built by the build server. When I investigated it I found that although my build script had set the compile to "Debug" my cc.net script was setting it to "Release." I removed the overriding behavior in the build script and the app started working. 

This sounds crazy. Is there are reason for this?
-John Bloom
JohnBloom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnBloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 9:55am
Ok I have narrowed it as far as I can. 

I understand that debug and release are configurations and that there is no magic going on there so I started playing with the settings. I was able to reproduce the problem with one setting. If under debug you check the checkbox labeled "Optimize Code" the entity service will stop working when you deploy your code. If you release in "Release" mode and uncheck the checkbox the service will work when you deploy.

That is as far as I can go. I am not sure what you guys are doing under the hood but when the code is optimized it is messing things up. As far as I know this is only when you have MVC and Silverlight running together but it could be a problem in other situations. 
-John Bloom
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 10:04am
Thanks John,

We are looking into it and will keep you posted.

Silvio.
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 9:47am
Hi John,

We isolated the issue to RegisterVirtualPathProvider not working properly.
We are still investigating the possible causes for this problem and any already known issues with RegisterVirtualPathProvider.
In the meantime, you will be able to deploy you app built in Release mode if you manually add the EntityServer/EntityService.svc files to the application folder.

Regards,
   Silvio.

Edited by sbelini - 10-Sep-2012 at 9:47am
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 10:43am
John,

It looks like, when using routing, you must ignore the svc files:

routes.IgnoreRoute("{*allsvc}", new { allsvc = @".*\.svc(/.*)?" });

Adding that to RegisterRoutes solved the issue for me.

Can you confirm that it works for you?

Silvio.
JohnBloom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnBloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 11:18am
It appears that this has done the trick. Thanks for the fix.
-John Bloom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12