FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How will Breeze be sold and at what cost?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How will Breeze be sold and at what cost?
    Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 6:33pm
Hi;

If I understood Cocktail product correctly, it is free of cost, because it depends on the DF backend which the developer must purchase. In case of Breeze, is it same way? If not (meaning it does not require DF), how will Breeze be sold and the cost?

Thanks!
..Ben

Edited by BenHayat - 23-Aug-2012 at 6:36pm
Best Regards!
..Ben

WPF & Silverlight Insider
http://www.MicroIntelligence.Com
ting View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote ting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 11:31pm
Hi Ben,

Breeze does not require DevForce and really is free to use.

You can of course use a DevForce domain model with Breeze, but it is in no way required. In fact, we designed Breeze with open APIs on both the front and back end. Currently, Breeze connects to Knockout and the Entity Framework, but we are planning to support other technologies as well.

BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 12:37pm
Hi;

Thank you for the reply. Yes, watching the three videos, I got the impression that both sides design were done with open and flexibility in mind. This is fantastic.

What I would really like to see, a case study that shows and differentiates the following two scenarios and shows how DF can bring extra values to the overall project:

a) Case one, a sample project done using backend EF with code first and Breeze backend.
b) Case two, adding DF in the same project.

Two Questions:
1) What would DF bring to the table, if a company was develop a LoB app using SPA methodology with and without DF.
2) Is there a plan that the Breeze backend becomes integrated into DF, that the developer doesn't have to the backend/Middle tier plumbing and would create the client's JS proxy to speed up most of the plumbing infrastructure?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by BenHayat - 24-Aug-2012 at 4:42pm
Best Regards!
..Ben

ting View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote ting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 4:11pm
For the initial release, we have not added any integration between DevForce and Breeze. We want to appeal to the broader audience and get as many web developers interested in Breeze as possible. In future versions, we may add DevForce features that add value to Breeze - such as automatic creation of the back-end as you mention above.

BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 4:47pm
Thanks!
Best Regards!
..Ben

Hayate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hayate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2012 at 8:55am
This is most interesting.
Please help me understand the Business Model for Breeze. If it's free (as it seems to be) then its developers can decide to abandon it anytime, which they will when they realize they don't make any money out of it (hence cannot pay the rent), which is right now ;) 
As a LoB developer I need to be reassured before I invest heavily in Breeze. Thank you for educating me.

Also: My 2 cents: TypeScript looks good. I like your idea of providing a "TypeScript 'declare' file that will allow better intellisense when using breeze". Keep up the good work!

ting View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote ting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2012 at 4:58pm
Great question, Hayate. We will offer paid support options as well consulting services. This allows us to continue investing in the product.

TypeScript has only been out for a few days, but so far it looks promising. I really like the design philosophy of Anders Hejlsberg. I've been using his stuff since Turbo Pascal (although I did skip Delphi and wrote a lot of C++ and Java before going to .NET).
 Post Reply Post Reply