FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cocktail license question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
survivor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote survivor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cocktail license question
    Posted: 19-Sep-2012 at 12:57pm
Hi,

I found your Codeplex site that says Cocktail is under MIT License but uses DevForce Express. I don't really get the license of DevForce Express coming with Cocktail. On the download page it says it is limited to 10 entity types but on another page it says it's just a trial version that isn't allowed to use in commercial software. What is correct?

I don't need the data service capabilities of DevSource. I'm just looking for a comfortable Caliburn Micro Screen Composition Framework with navigation and toolbar support only for WPF. Is it possible to use Cocktail for that without licensing DevForce? The HappyHour tutorials seem to require DevForce in the GAC even for the simplest things.

And what about the DevForce version mentioned here? Does it work with Cocktail 1.0.1 and if so, where can I download it?

Thanks a lot!
Stefan

mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2012 at 3:42pm
Stefan,
You can find the license agreement of DevForce here:

The following two points should answer your question.

1.1.1  License Grant.  If You select the free Trial License, You are authorized to install and use the

Software for the sole purpose of evaluating its functionality and performance.  You may not

integrate the Software into end products or use it for any commercial, productive or training

purposes.  You may not redistribute the Software or any part thereof.

1.1.2 Support.  As part of Your Trial License You are entitled to enter three (3) support requests via

IdeaBlade’s  support system. We will use reasonable efforts to respond to such requests within

seventy-two (72) hours (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays).

DevForce is an integral part of Cocktail. It provides more than just the data service part, so you can't use Cocktail without DevForce, unless you fork the source code and significantly modify it to remove the DevForce dependencies. It will be easier to do this in v2 due to some of the architectural changes.
survivor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote survivor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 2:46am
Thanks for replying! I'd really like to check out Cocktail 2.0. I found a recent version in svn, but it depends on DevForce 7.0. Any chance I can get a trial version of that?

Regards
Stefan

P.S.: DevForce indeed seems to be a collection of useful things like the CompositionHost for WPF.
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 3:26am
Stefan,
Everything you need including DevForce 7.0 is delivered through NuGet when you install Cocktail 2012 to a project. Follow the instructions on the Getting Started page.

Also more information on the DevForce installation steps can be found here:

If you already have a trial key for DF 2010, the same key works for DF 2012. We've just published the Beta and are still ironing out a few things until we'll officially announce it.
survivor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote survivor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 4:45am
Right. I had problems building TempHire.Wpf. That's why I thought that.

First build:
Fehler    1    Fehler beim Lesen der Ressourcendatei 'd:\cocktail-20023\Samples\TempHire\Security\SecurityEntities.ibmmx' -- 'Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. '    d:\cocktail-20023\Samples\TempHire\Security\CSC    Security
Fehler    2    Fehler beim Lesen der Ressourcendatei 'd:\cocktail-20023\Samples\TempHire\DomainModel\TempHireEntities.ibmmx' -- 'Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. '    d:\cocktail-20023\Samples\TempHire\DomainModel\CSC    DomainModel

Second build:
Fehler    1    Unerwarteter Fehler bei der EntityModelMetadataDeploy-Aufgabe.
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8001010A): Durch den Messagefilter wurde angezeigt, dass die Anwendung ausgelastet ist. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER))

Server stack trace:
   bei EnvDTE.ProjectItems.AddFromFile(String FileName)
   bei IdeaBlade.VisualStudio.Build.Tasks.EntityModelMetadataDeploy.WriteResourceFiles(IList`1 modelList)
   bei IdeaBlade.VisualStudio.Build.Tasks.EntityModelMetadataDeploy.Execute()
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   bei Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.Execute()
   bei Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
   bei Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__20.MoveNext()    DomainModel

Third build:
No errors
But when starting it and pressing "Login"...

Edited by survivor - 21-Sep-2012 at 4:48am
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 5:07am

Ok, yes you have to start over. First of all, do a fresh unzip. Then you need to uninstall DF 2010 if you still have it installed. Side-by-side installation of DF 2010 and DF 2012 causes issues.

Then create an empty solution and install Cocktail 2012, so that our installer gets kicked off to let you enter a license key. There's currently a bug in NuGet that Microsoft is investigating. This bug prevents the necessary PowerShell script to run when you open an existing DevForce solution, so that you can enter the license key. Therefore you have to get the license key installation out of the way before you try to build an existing solution such as TempHire.

Then build again. You still have to build probably twice. There's currently known build issue with multiple domain model solutions such as TempHire. That's the "Die Anwendung is ausgelastet..." error message.
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 6:21am
BTW, by empty solution, I don't actually mean a solution with no projects. Just create a WPF solution using the VS template.
survivor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote survivor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2012 at 2:34am
Following your instructions, I was able to build and start TempHire 2012. Thanks!

I had a hard time with NuGet connection problems that were caused by the "Automatically detect settings" option in the IE connection settings tab. So anyone having issues with NuGet, make sure to disable this option. It causes timeouts.

I guess Cocktail 2.0 is not compatible with VS 2010, is it?

mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2012 at 3:21am
Originally posted by survivor

I guess Cocktail 2.0 is not compatible with VS 2010, is it?

No, it's not. The Task-based Asychronous Pattern depends on the new compiler.

Edited by mgood - 24-Sep-2012 at 3:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply