FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] CAB and the IdeaBlade Object Mapper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] CAB and the IdeaBlade Object Mapper
    Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 9:47am
I have a non-CAB, rather large, and ever growing project in which I have employed the DevForce product.  A large model project already exists.  My desire is to migrate this application to a CAB environment; however, I will not be able to reuse my current model project in its current state.  There are quite a few differences between the generated classes and the actual classes used by CAB.  Also, there are several different ways of handling the data than the normal DevForce way.  Is it possible to create an ORM that will allow the creation of the CAB-ready business object?  The generated class would have some of the CAB wiring built-in and a few additional comments regarding CAB-related additions to the class (similar to the suggested customizations section).  This would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
Bill

Edited by Linguinut - 30-Oct-2007 at 5:38pm
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 6:56pm

Thus far we have kept the DevForce object mapper and generated models unaware of CAB. 

CAB simply requires that all entity classes inherit directly or indirectly from IdeaBlade.Common.EntityModel.CommonEntity. 

The object mapper facilitates this.  If your entity classes already inherit from a common base class (as do the entities in the Cabana reference model), then make that class inherit from CommonEntity.

CommonEntity provides virtually all of the functions expected by IdeaBlade.CAB.

We intend that you should be able to take a wizard-generated application, remove the Cabana reference model entity classes (though not the Common and QuasiCommon folders) and substitute your pre-existing model, adding inheritance from CommonEntity.  (That's why we allow specifying of the model namespace in the Cab Application wizard).  I admit however, that we haven't done this a lot, so we'd appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks,

Bill J.
 Post Reply Post Reply