FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

More querying questions!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Orizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More querying questions!
    Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 5:59am
Hi there,

Is the following possible?

I have a Customer object which is queried and includes an expand to get all the orders too. 

.from("Customer").expand("Orders");

I want to be able to only bring back orders which has been completed. 

So select the top level customer expand the orders so I get an Customer object with a List of orders and finally a list of orders which have been completed.

How do I get to the Completed property of the navigation object?

Many thanks!
Orizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Orizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 9:46am
If it is not possible, is there a recommended workaround?

If I select completed orders and expand customers (so the inverse) The json is parsed in such a way that it doesn't really increase the payload too much (using $ref), but obviously if there are no completed orders, the customer can't be returned!

The only way I can see around it is to do 2 calls to the web api, one to get the customer object and one to get the completed orders for that customer, I guess this all relates to sub queries in some way

Anyway a recommended workaround solution would be a great help!

Thanks

jtraband View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote jtraband Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 2:18pm
Ok, I think I understand.  Do you mean that the problem is that this query
   from("Orders").where("Completed", "eq", true).expand("Customer");
does not return any "customer" entities when there are no "completed" orders? and presumably you want these customers as well.

If so, then I agree the only current approach is to perform the two queries.
   from("Customers")
followed by
   from("Orders").where("Completed", "eq", true);

The second query will automatically link the "orders" returned with the appropriate customers.

We have discussed, meaning this does not yet work, expressing this with a subquery within a projection query that might look something like this:
  from("Customers").select('this, orders.where("Completed", "eq", true)'
but we do not yet support subqueries in projections.

Orizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Orizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 2:27pm
That's correct, 

I think the subqueries in projections would be a great addition for Breeze, I've come up a few situations where this would have aided the solution gracefully, I understand it's about prioritising features and producing this functionality in the right way though - so look forward to it!

Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply