New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: service cannot be activated because it does not support ASP.NET compatibility
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

service cannot be activated because it does not support ASP.NET compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: service cannot be activated because it does not support ASP.NET compatibility
    Posted: 17-Jan-2013 at 5:34am
Hi,

I'm using DevForce 2012.
My Silverlight App is deployed on IIS 7 and until now everything was fine.
Microsoft released a new patch for .Net 4.5 and since this one is installed on the server I receive this Error Message
for the EntityService.
Until now there was no problem with my web.config entry:

<serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true"/>

Since this patch is installed, I get the error from the subject.
I understand this and I could easily change to aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="false", since I'm
not using aspNet-Security.
My Problem is, that I have a Reporting Service from Telerik which requires aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true".
The situation now is: One of both services is not running anymore.

Since DevForce obviously was not aware of this setting before the patch, I'm looking for a solution
to tell DevForce that it shold not use aspNetCompatibiltyEnabled even if in the web.config there is a different setting.

Maybe I can do this in code. I have my own DataSourceKeyResolver as a point on server side where I could
do such configuring perhaps?

I hope you can help me soon. This is a deployment issue on an already running system. So I have only one 
work around at the moment: uninstalling the patch, which shouldn't be the best solution either.

Thank You
Andrew

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2013 at 12:08pm
In .NET 4.5 the WCF default for a service is to allow the ASP.NET compatibility mode to be set.  DevForce uses this default.  We haven't seen that any patches or updates have changed this default. 

Check that the application pool hosting the EntityService is using .NET 4.5 and the integrated pipeline.   Also check that the httpRuntime element under the system.web section in your web.config targets .NET 4.5.

If you've defined the EntityService and EntityServer services in the serviceModel section of the web.config, please post what you have.

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2013 at 1:50pm
Thank you for your answer.

The patch I was telling you from is the "Update for Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5 ..." (KB2750147).

It came via Windows Update some days ago.
The effect is the same. I have it actually on 6 different Win 8 Servers and I can reproduce it on my development machine too.
When I deinstall this update, I can leave the AspNetCompatibilityMode= "true" and everything works fine.

I have not defined the EntityService and EntityServer services in the ServiceModel section of the web.config.
Application Pool can not be changed to 4.5 since 4.5 is an in place update so it stays at 4.0.

OK, this was only as much information as I can give for all others who are struggling with an issue like that.

Your hint with the HttpRuntime element was the one that helped me. There was no targetFramework entry at all.
I've inserted targetFramework="4.5" and everything is well again.
But strange enough this issue.

So, thank you very much!

Best Regards
Andrew
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2013 at 2:37pm
Thanks for the update Andrew, and I'm glad you got it working.

It looks like that KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2750147) did make a change to this behavior, so this is good information.
JohnBloom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnBloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2013 at 12:07pm
I had this problem as well. Inserting targetFramework="4.5" fixed it for me as well. I would have been really lost if it werent for this one thread.
-John Bloom
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2013 at 12:14pm
Glad you're up and running again, John.  Following Andrew's post we did update our documentation to discuss this too.  For anyone else who might have the issue, more information can be found here:  http://drc.ideablade.com/devforce-2012/bin/view/Documentation/troubleshooting-iis#HASP.NETsettings.

Post Reply Post Reply