FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

[COMPLETED] Widget View Template

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [COMPLETED] Widget View Template
    Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 6:35pm

Again, great job on the templates/wizards!

I was playing around with creating a customer page with contact details.  I would like to present the contacts in a view with a navigator.  When reading about the summary view, I ran across the statement:

"use one of the widget view templates to create and design a new summary view"

I am not sure what a widget view template is.  What are these templates and how would I use them?

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by Linguinut - 28-Sep-2007 at 4:54pm
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 11:51am

So far, the two widget view templates are ControlView and DotNetGridView.  The others are considered layout view templates (except the GridBuilder which is a helper class template).

When building views, we recommend clearly separating the concept of "layout views" that define the structure of a portion of screen real estate and "widget views" that actually display data in a particular set of controls.

Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 12:00pm
Are there five classes of wizards, then?

1)  Application
2)  Business Module
3)  Page Layout
     a)  Search Summary/Detail
     b)  Search Results
     c)  Summary/Detail
4)  Views (widgets)
     a)  Grid (DotNet only?)
     b)  Controls
5)  Helper (only grid builder, so far)

If I build a layout the wizard can setup the view I would like with it; however, that view could easily be replaced by another view that I create with one of the widget wizards, right?
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 12:15pm
Right.  You'd do that by modifying the page controller code for the layout view to create the desired widget view.

Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 10:09am
I built a loose controls widget for my address master table.  This table is related to the customer master table.  I have a page layout for customers using a search summary/detail layout.  My desire is to add the new address control to the tabs.  Here is my code:

TabViewControllers.Add(new GeneralTabViewController<AddressView>("Addresses","Customer Addresses", true));

When I run this I get the following error:

The item type of the BindingSource that you selected [Spiratex.Aspire.Model.CustomerMaster] does not match the BoundType of this BindingManager [Spiratex.Aspire.Model.AddressMaster].

I thought I could setup a view with relational ignorance; however, that does not seem to be the case.  How would I create a widget that will reflect related items and NOT be a readonly entity list?

Thanks!
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 5:20pm
I'll be happy to help you with this (and the additional issues raised in your e-mail to support) when I return on Tuesday.

Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 5:25pm
When you get back, I'd appreciate some help on that ListConverter thing, too.

Thanks!
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 3:35pm
This may be related to another concurrent thread; nevertheless, I thought I would get back to this today.

I am still getting the following error:

The item type of the BindingSource that you selected [Spiratex.Aspire.Model.CustomerMaster] does not match the BoundType of this BindingManager [Spiratex.Aspire.Model.ContactMaster].

I get this no matter how I try to connect a view to the customer summary/detail layout.  With or without a tabcontroller, this error keeps surfacing.  How do I properly connect a widget view to a layout view?

This is an example of what I am trying to do...both addresses and contacts are loose control views with navigation.  Orders and invoices will be simple grid views.

Customer%20Layout%20Example

Edited by Linguinut - 19-Sep-2007 at 3:42pm
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 6:38pm
Glad to hear I ain't the only one.
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 6:39pm
What did you do to add new buttons to the nav bar?
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 10:00am
Look at a at the "NavBar Setup" region of a module controller.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 11:53am
My example above is from a previous, non-CAB version of my application.  I have only been successful in recreating the top part of that window in the CAB app.  The tabular portion is not working (unless I introduce a gridview, but that is not what I want).  I am still trying to connect a widget view (loose controls with navigation) to the overall layout.
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 11:59am
I am right there with you. Haven't been able to get a reply tho.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 2:42pm
*bump*

The recent discussion on the new base view has been somewhat relevant and helpful; however, my basic question is still unanswered:  how do I create a view with navigation similar to the example provided above?

My efforts so far have gone one of two ways:  1)  the view shows up (no navigation), but no data is presented; or 2)  the error regarding the boundtype resurfaces.  I have tried the view/context/presenter route.  I have tried creating a new tabviewcontroller just for the view.  The GeneralTabViewController does not work either (boundtype error).  I am running out of options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 3:23pm
Quick update:  I now have data showing up in the view (the mEmptyList was pointing to the wrong entitylist).  However, it is presented without any way to add/edit or delete.  So, the next step will be to try to wiggle a BindingNavigator onto the form.  I'd really like to use the one already designed (summarydetailpage?), so I'll keep digging into the code to figure it out.

Edited by Linguinut - 21-Sep-2007 at 3:24pm
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 5:35pm
One last effort for today was to create a Contacts SummaryDetailPage using the wizard.  From this I pointed the recently created ContactViewTabController to use the new ContactMasterSummaryView created by the wizard.  My hope, albeit thin, was that the tab controller  would pick up the view with the binding navigator supplied through the summarydetailpagecontroller.  Unfortunately, that did not work out.  The reason is that the new controller for the view is never called.  Nevertheless, the view with data did show up in the tab, but no way to navigate it or update it.  At least, I see now how easy it is to transplant views.

Somehow, I need to get the tabcontroller to inherit from the summarydetailpagecontroller; or, perhaps, create a hybrid of these two calling it a ControlViewTabController, or something like that.  Wacko

Time for the weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>