FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wizard problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wizard problems
    Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 10:26am
When I try and create items using the wizard about 80% of the time it freezes at the Move project items task. Then I have to stop the application, or wait for it to crash, then reload and add the files that were created to the project manually.

Anyone else having these issues.

Edited by orcities - 09-Oct-2007 at 10:15am
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 10:44am
Maintaining thread safety when interacting with Visual Studio is tricky.  I've seen occasional problems, but not as frequently as you describe.

If you are able to move windows around, be sure there isn't a modal dialog hidden under the wizard.

Also, you may experience fewer problems if you close all open documents in Visual Studio before running the item wizard.

What kind of item are you creating?

Bill J.
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 10:46am
I have tried all types of page views. And get the problem.

And occassionally the GridView.

Haven't had an issue with GridBuilder that I know of.
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 10:20am
The problem occurs during the Move Project Files phase.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 1:24pm
Hey orcities!

I have gotten a very similar error.  I think I got it when I ran the wizard in an unexpected folder or an unexpected project that didn't have a certain folder.  For example, if I try to run the GridBuilder wizard within the Foundation.Interface module, it errors.  Occasionally, the error would result in a VSIDE meltdown.  It isn't cut and dried, unfortunately.  A lot probably has to do with current resources, and such.

I have been extra careful about where I run these wizards.  Not sure if this help, at all.

Ling
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 2:32pm
We've never tested the Cabana wizards with Visual Studio integrated source control.  There appear to be some problems.

Dan:

Can you try asking Visual Studio to temporarily suspend integrated source control while you run a wizard, then re-enabling it?

Bill C.:

Are you using Visual Studio integrated source control?

Yes, sometimes the wizards can be sensitive to where they're run (they might not be happy, but they should be polite about it.). 

Add module projects by right clicking on the UI solution folder.

Add items by right-clicking on a project, rather than a folder within the project.

Adding a grid builder to a project that does not have a module controller (such as Foundation or Interface) produces an error because the registration with the GridBuilder service cannot be added.  However, the GridBuilder is constructed properly.  In the Foundation case, you can merely add it to the list of GridBuilders registered in the GridBuilderService constructor.

Bill J.
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 2:42pm
Now I get the following Error:

Exception: Access to path '...\ViewName.cs.bak' is denied
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 2:45pm
Yup, got integrated source control....VisualSVN.

As far as GridBuilders, I agree, they are created properly, just missing the registration.  No biggie.

I haven't gotten any errors/lockups in quite a while.  I have only been using the basic wizards lately, though (searchsummarydetail, mostly).
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 9:50am

It looks like for now, the Cabana wizards don't work in projects controlled by Visual Source safe.  We may look at this in the future if there is sufficient interest.

Sorry not to have a more positive answer.

Bill

orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 10:13am
No problem. I understand. I can just continue to attach the files the way that I have been.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 12:10pm

I just had a wizard bomb on me.  It is the SummaryDetailPage wizard.  It prepared the replacement dictionary, then when it went to create item components, I heard a "bonk", then it stopped.  I looked for hidden popup windows...none are found.  The wizard is not available.  Visual Studio is not available.  I must end these tasks manually.  There were probably changes made in some of my files that I will lose.  Sad.  I do not even have Visual Source Safe.

Just FYI.

Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 12:42pm
I restarted VS and tried again.  It bombed.

I restarted my workstation and tried again.  It bombed.

I guess this wizard just stopped working.  How nice.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 1:04pm
I tried adding a SummaryDetailPage to the Splash module (left in my application for testing purposes only).  The wizard worked as expected (although, there is no PageControllers folder so the wizard added the controller to the same level as the summary view).

"Great," I said.  So, with great hope, I tried the wizard again on the module I need it in.  I got the same "bonk" sound, then total lockup of the IDE.

Is it possible that I cannot have two different pages point to the same master table in the same module????

orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 1:08pm
That is the same thing that happens to me. We found it to be the files that have been checked in and out of my source safe. That was the only time we could duplicate the crash. Does yours have version control software?
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 1:24pm
Yes...VisualSVN; however, I have done this quite a few times without incident.  All of my files are committed, so there are no stragglers.

The issue is that I cannot add two pages referencing the same root entity in the same module.  I just tried it.  I added one summarydetailpage for my UserInfo entity (TestPage1).  No problem.  I added a second summarydetailpage for the same entity (TestPage2)...bonk!...LOCK.

IdeaBlade, please come to the rescue on this.  There may be VSS issues, but I have documented another for you.

[Edit]  I thought I was just being stupid and didn't change an obvious thing...the name of the summary view.  The wizard does want to create the same named view by default.  I ran the same test and I got the same results even after changing the name of the view so there wouldn't be a duplicate.

Edited by Linguinut - 11-Oct-2007 at 1:30pm
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 1:48pm

Thanks, Bill and Dan for all your efforts on this.  Many wizard issues only show up under certain conditions so it's hard to test thoroughly enough.  It sounds like you have a reproducible case that I can debug.

I'm pretty busy right now, but I'll try to get to it as soon as possible.

Bill J.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>