FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Security Application Block

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Security Application Block
    Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 10:04am
I want to add a rule provider to my application.  When I went to add the security application block to the app.config (since it was not there), I was alerted to the fact that it already exists.  Where is the security block from the Enterprise Library implemented?  Can I create/access a ruleprovider from within my modules?

Edited by Linguinut - 26-Oct-2007 at 2:47pm
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 11:54am

The SecurityApplicationBlock in included in Cabana because Ward included all the dlls from the EnterpriseLibrary.  We don't actually use it in Cabana, so I can't really offer any suggestions.

Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 1:05pm

I see the assemblies in the LIB folder; however, how would I update the app.config to see these assemblies rather than attempt to add it again to the project?  Thanks!

Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 10:40am
I am going to delete the assemblies related to security from the LIB folder, then update my app.config.  I will attempt this, then report back here with my results.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 1:00pm
Of course, what sounds quite simple turns out to be a nightmare in the DF/CAB world.  Not only are the security assemblies involved, but so are the exception handling and logging assemblies.

Also, the Enterprise Library Configuration editor wants to load v2 assemblies.  It looks like v3.1 assemblies are existing in the LIB folder.  I am doubting that it will make any difference; however, once I get the v2's in there, then I should be able to swap the 3.1's in after that.

That's my plan.

Now, what was the reason for including all of the assemblies, even though they are not used?  I do not want this to come back and haunt me.

Thanks,
Bill
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 10:11am
Bill, would you or Ward please explain why *all* Enterprise Library assemblies were thrown into the LIB folder regardless of whether they were used by you or not?  I am going to delete a gob of them so I can utilize the security functions of the Enterprise Library (especially, rule provider).  If I do this, it is possible that I could mess something up.  Later today, I am going to bite the bullet and move ahead.  It would just be nice to get your thinking on this so I am not circumventing a valid process.  Thank you.

Edited by Linguinut - 19-Oct-2007 at 11:01am
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 2:39pm
We have no good reason and would like to get rid of the unneeded ones too.  Let us know if you have any success.

Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 5:25pm
Looks like I can perform this surgery without too many complications, then.  Thanks for the info.  I keep trying to get back to this but so many other things are captivating my attention lately.  I will keep this alive until I finish.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 1:00pm

Argh!!  No matter what I do, I am not able to use the Enterprise Library Configuration tool.  All I want to do is add authorization rules.  Here are the errors that I get if I try to do this:

Error 5: An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for exceptionHandling: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Error 6: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Error 7: An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for loggingConfiguration: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Error 8: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Please help.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 1:30pm
Perhaps another question to ask would be, why doesn't any Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary assemblies appear in the GAC?  It looks like these errors are generated because the references are related to the GAC entries.  Unless I am reading these wrong.

If they do not need to be in the GAC, then does anyone know the proper XML syntax to reference them elsewhere?
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 2:11pm
I changed the version and public key token of the logging and exception handling assemblies in the XML file.  I re-ran the configuration tool and that seemed to have eliminated the above errors.  Then, I got another one:

Invalid TraceListenerData type in configuration 'listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"'.

So, wherever I saw:

Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

I changed it to:

Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

Wow!  The configuration tool lit up like a Christmas Tree!!

It saves.  I can edit the rules.  Done.

Technically, I could delete this entire thread, since I was the only one "talking".  However, someone else may need this (I rather doubt it, though), so I will leave it here.  The bottom line is that the new Enterprise Library 3.1 is strongly typed, so references to it must reflect that.  I think that is what happened here.

[Edit] Bill J. did chip in on this thread a couple of times, so I actually cannot delete it.  It just seems like I was the only one "talking".  Whoever reads this...I hope it helps answer your questions.

Edited by Linguinut - 26-Oct-2007 at 2:25pm
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 2:59pm

Thanks for your effort in solving this.  It's not an area we're putting resources into right now.

Please don't delete threads.

This is a public forum.  Don't assume that just because you're the only one "talking" that no one is listening.  Moreover, the forum is accessible to search engines, so you may be helping some poor soul with the same problem in the future.

Thanks,
Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 3:29pm
I made the statement in frustration.  I am literally pouring my life into this app.  The fact that few use these forums is quite discouraging to me.  And, it should be a rebuke to IdeaBlade.  Where are the "others" that are building CAB apps with DevForce (or just plain using DevForce)?  Do no other customers of IdeaBlade have anything to add, in this case, about the Enterprise Library and how to use it?

Maybe the call volume in your tech support department is through the roof.  Perhaps that is the reason the forums are so lightly populated.

Maybe IdeaBlade is setting their sights elsewhere and leaving CAB behind.  No new resources are being added to it.  That says a lot.  Since it is just you, from IdeaBlade, who answers CAB related questions (and you are not a tech support guy, I don't think), I wonder what the plan really is inside your offices.  Man, do not go on vacation for a week!  I mean it.

Hopefully, you can appreciate my perspective.  There are serious questions popping up in my head.  Do I continue to pour my working life into DF/CAB?  If the user support is not there and IdeaBlade support is limited to one person, then my outlook is bleak, at best.
HFloyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote HFloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 12:35pm
Hi Bill <Linguinut>,

I am attempting to setup an application using the "CAB Application Wizard". I was able to setup the app using the Wizard, update the DB connection info, and successfully BUILD the app, but when I Run it, I get a similar error:

An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for exceptionHandling: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) (C:\Documents and Settings\Heather\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\HSAdminApp\bin\Debug\HS.HSAdminApp.Shell.exe.config line 17)

I think this might be similar to your issue, but I'm not sure where I should make that change to "Version=3.1.0.0". Could you let me know which file location(s) I need to do that in?

I haven't done any customizing of the app other than what the Wizard does, and updating the DB connection info.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Heather
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 12:57pm
Hi Heather,

Sorry, but our company is no longer developing with IdeaBlade and CAB.  It has been several months since I had my head inside one of these errors, so my recollection of this is quite cloudy, at best.  I do not think the security application block will easily be integrated in a DF/CAB environment, if at all.  The file I worked on to get as far as I did was the app.config file.

Take care,
Bill

HFloyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote HFloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 1:36pm
Thanks, Bill, for your reply.

I made the changes to my app.config file in the Shell project, but am still getting similar errors, so I hope to hear back from their support people soon.

Best wishes,

Heather
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>