FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] Reusing the Model Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] Reusing the Model Project
    Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 9:16am
Can I transplant the Model project associated with the CAB/DF application into another application solution?  Will it work without a major overhaul?

Edited by Linguinut - 06-Dec-2007 at 4:39pm
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 10:54am
I don't see why not.  We have tried to keep the model project free of CAB dependencies.  It should depend only on DevForce.

Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 4:38pm
Thank you, Bill.  I appreciate your response.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 6:37am
Bill, is the IdeaBlade.Common.EntityModel part of DevForce?  I do not see it in my installation; however, I am not using the most recent build, either.  Perhaps it is included in the most recent update of DevForce.  If so, then everything should be ok; however, if not, then the dependency within the model project does make it unusable without an overhaul.  For example, the BaseEntity inherits from IdeaBlade.Common.EntityModel.CommonEntity.  The BaseEntity is the entity from which nearly all of my business object inherit.  If I simply add that reference to my project will that be all I need?
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 6:42am
I copied the assembly from the CAB project to the IdeaBlade installation folder.  From the new project, I rebuilt the Model project and received no errors/warnings.  It looks like that is all that I needed to do.
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 2:50pm
Yeah, the IdeaBlade.Common.EntityModel occupies a sort of limbo between DevForce and IdeaBlade.CAB/Cabana.  It's necessary for IdeaBlade.CAB-based applications, but doesn't depend on any CAB or IdeaBlade.CAB stuff, so it can be moved to a straight DevForce application.

If your DevForce application doesn't use CAB, you could try changing your BaseEntity in that model to inherit directly from Entity.  I've never tried this, so I can't guarantee that it would work.

Bill J.
 Post Reply Post Reply