FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Output Window shows errors - Save Obj. Mapper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rclarke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rclarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Output Window shows errors - Save Obj. Mapper
    Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 11:21am
I'm working through the tutorial material supplied with DevForce EF but I'm generating VB instead of C#. When I select File/Save in the object mapper for the first time the following is displayed in the output window of VS:

ERROR: Unable to update App.Config due to the following exception: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\End_ObjectMapping\ServerModelNorthwindIB\App.Config' because it is being used by another process.

Generated model file: ServerModelNorthwindIB.edmx

Loading metadata from database took 00:00:05.4082921

Generating model took 00:00:03.1088104

Writing out edmx file took 00:00:00.0905517

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Looks ominous to me but you may already know about this or it may not be significant but I thought I'd report it anyway. I will continue as though it's not an issue and report another issues I find.

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 12:02pm

We have seen the "Object reference not set ..." message from the Entity Data Model.  It is innocuous in this case - I think it might be happening when we move the project containing the EDMX file into the solution folder.  You'll also see that message if the Designer section of the EDMX contains errors, and in some other situations too.  These problems all seem to be more warnings than true errors, and do not cause a problem with code generation or the running of the application.  I think MS might be addressing some of these issues as they further enhance the EDM designer.  I'll file a bug report to see if we can fix the problem you found.

We haven't seen the app.config update error before, and I couldn't repro it just now.  Let us know if you see this error on a regular basis or can easily repro.

Thanks for your feedback, and please do report other issues as you find them.

Post Reply Post Reply