FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How To: AppUpdater()??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
orcities View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote orcities Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To: AppUpdater()??
    Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 8:41am
Can't really find any helpful docs on how to use the AppUpdater(). I am using CABANA's framework is there any special differences?

**Update:
David sent me docs from v2.x. Can't upload cause file is to large.

Edited by orcities - 26-Jun-2008 at 3:20pm
Tich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 2:27am

I am looking for this info as well the documentation that came with the product looks incomplete when it comes to automatic application updating, specifically I need information on how to configure /use

1)    Application Version File (how do I make this what’s the format)

2)    AppUpdater() method.

3)    AppLauncher.exe

Thanks in advance..

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 10:06am
Hi Tich,

We deprecated the AppUpdater / AppLauncher in DevForce Classic in favor of ClickOnce.  We never removed it altogether though, so it is still supported, although as you've found there's little to no documentation.

I've attached a zip containing some documentation and sample files, but here's a brief overview:

The format of the version.xml file is simple -
   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
   <version updating="false" value="1.0.0.0"/>

You'll have one version file on your client and one on the server.   Your application calls AppUpdater.Update() at startup, and this in turn checks the version numbers from both client and server version.xml files to determine if an update is required.  If so, the files in the server folder are downloaded to the client.  The download is using WebDav, which does have special setup and security requirements (which I can't find documented anywhere at the moment).

Your client-side ibconfig file will contain an <appUpdater> section:
 <appUpdater>
    <updateURL>http://someserver/myupdatesite</updateURL>
    <versionFileName>version.xml</versionFileName>
    <appLauncher>AppLauncher.exe</appLauncher>
  </appUpdater>

The important element here is the updateURL, which is the URL to your web site hosting the application updates.  The AppLauncher.exe is provided with the DevForce installation, and should be copied to your application deployment folder.

Tich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 10:39am

Thanks for the quick response this is exactly what I needed. Click once in .Net 2.0 in very rigid you have to build separate publications for each server you application is published and you can’t update specific files the client machine has to download all the files even those that did not change! Long story short am stuck with .Net 2.0 for now and DevForce Automatic Updates does exactly what I need it to do. 

Post Reply Post Reply