FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Should I use a single PersistenceManager or many?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I use a single PersistenceManager or many?
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 4:37pm

How to use a PersistenceManager with two forms?

-Use a separate PersistenceManager for each editing space or
-Use a single PersistenceManager

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 4:40pm
Actually, you have three choices
  • One PM
  • Multiple PM’s
  • A hybrid approach

I would advise you to start with just a single PM.  This is certainly the easiest approach.  It is also the most consistent approach in that each form represents the same view of any particular business object as any other form.

Consider multiple PM’s if you want any additions, deletions, or changes in one form not to be present in any other form until you save the first form.  In addition, you can do an Undo on one form independent of the state of another,  The disadvantage of using multiple PM’s is that managing them can be complex.  Moving changes from one PM can be tricky (for example, you’ll have to deal with possible concurrency conflicts).

Finally, there is the hybrid approach.  View the TechTip which uses theGetEntityGraph at

http://www.ideablade.com/techtip_saving_by_form.htm

Now that I have confused you, I would strongly recommend that you start with a single PM.  If after you have success with this approach, you might look at other alternatives.

Edited by IdeaBlade - 12-Jul-2007 at 4:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply