FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LookUp screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alejandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alejandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LookUp screen
    Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 7:44am
What would be the best way (cabana way) to build a lookup screen, one that would popup from one view in the shell and allow you to select some value. On closing that screen the selected value should be copied to a given field in the view from where it was created. How would be the communication between this 2 windows? by events or viewcontext? Is there any implementation out there of this common scenario?   
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2009 at 11:59am
My instinct would be to use a ViewContext. Here's why. I believe that CAB events should be used in a fire-and-forget manner to communicate something of possible interest to unknown subscribers. Here you have a collaboration between two parts. They may be loosely coupled (and not know each other) but they are the only two parties to the conversation.
The ViewContext was invented to facilitiate conversation among loosely-coupled close collaborators. That's what your scenario suggests to me.

I don't know of a specific implementation in Cabana for this scenario. I don't know if ViewContext is the best answer for your case either but it the place I would look first.

Landry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Landry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2010 at 11:32pm

Hi Mate

I think it is also possible to do other than ViewContext using openID in ASP.Net using MVC application, where we can register only once so that information comes over entire application.

Edited by Landry - 23-Aug-2010 at 11:33pm
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2010 at 9:36am
@Landry - a potentially useful observation. Not sure how that plays here ... in a Windows Forms, CAB-based application with no ASP interaction whatsoever.

To be honest, we've moved on from CAB-based WinForms applications toward WPF/Silverlight Prism or Caliburn foundations. My Cabana is getting pretty rusty. Still happy to dredge up some advice where I can though :-\
 Post Reply Post Reply