New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Generate DevForce Model from EF Model with customizations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Generate DevForce Model from EF Model with customizations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cjohnson84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote cjohnson84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generate DevForce Model from EF Model with customizations
    Posted: 03-Mar-2010 at 5:16am
I have been given an EF model in which the various EntityObjects have been customized extensively.  For example, our database contains an Employees table and a Roles table and the various tables added to the database for ASP.NET Authentication.  The developer has gone ahead and customized the EF generated Employee partial class to wrap the properties of the ASP.NET tables we need as well as the Roles table information we need into the Employee partial class.  He has also extended the partial class to "CreateUserLogin", "DeleteUserLogin", etc.

Given this EF model I now need to generate the DevForce model.  How do I go about generating the DF model so that the customization made in EF carry forward?  I went ahead and generated a model as a first attempt and checked the "Create developer partial class files" but I just get empty partial classes.

What is the proper way to handle this situation?  We're fairly new to using both EF and DEvforce and I think there is now some confusion as well as debate as to where to place all of our custom logic.

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 12:55pm
The bad news is, you'll have to port the custom code from the EF developer partial classes to the DevForce ones.

The good new is, most people find that quite easy. Typically much of the code transplants as is, and changes are quite minor.

Let us know if you encounter any problematic issues with the port.
 Post Reply Post Reply