FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Masked Text Entry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MichaelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MichaelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masked Text Entry
    Posted: 28-Aug-2007 at 9:53pm
I have a property that represents a General Ledger code, e.g. 123-45-678-9. Is there some way using Data Converter and/or View Descriptor to allow for this formatting to happen whenever a user tries to make an entry in a textbox or grid column data bound to this property?

Ideally I would like to set it up so as the user types the start of the GL code 1234 the textbox would show 123-4 etc.

After entry I would then need to validate the entry did conform to the required format.

I also would like the possibility of optionally popping up an entry form to help them enter the segments of the GL code, e.g. 123 may correspond to a state and 45 may correspond to a department code etc. This could be using a button or double-clicking etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this?
owais,zahid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote owais,zahid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 6:02am
Nice question MichaelP, its not in my knowledge that ideablade can support the auto formatting of the code. But i can give you a suggestion that might work for you.

Divide your questions in 2 part.

1) For auto formatting, you should use per-verifier and handle the typing of the user. (not sure it will work).

2) Make post verifer that will check the valid input from the user. I have done this thing in order to check the phone number format typed by the user.
MichaelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MichaelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 4:04pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I would assume a pre-verifier event would fire after the entry has been completed, i.e. when the user moves to a new field, so that would not allow for the - character to appear when required.

I started playing around with a Data Binder to make a custom control for entry, but this doesn't seem to be available in the DataGridViewBindingManager, even though it is available in the ControlBindingManager. Maybe I just can't easily use a .Net DataGridView and need a DevEx or Infragistics grid.
TrevLeyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TrevLeyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 4:15pm
I think what you may need to do here (assuming you are not using any 3rd party control libraries which do support masked editing) is to create a custom control derived from the TextEdit control. You will then need to create an event handler on the keydown event and on each keypress, reparse/reformat your data and put it back into the control.

It can be slightly tricky from memory, but I have done something along these lines before. If you get stuck, let me know and I can try to take a look at mocking something up over the weekend.

Trevor
MichaelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MichaelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 7:27pm
I have created my own custom textbox control from the Windows.Forms.MaskedTextBox control. That control already has the mask function so I just extended it to suit the GL code formatting I need - i.e. adjustable separator string and adjustable number of segments in the GL code. This works OK.
Next I wanted to add a button on the text box to pop up an alternative entry form, but I haven't had success there. I tried using a usercontrol that includes a textbox and a button, but now the usercontrol is no longer a Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase object and hence I can't use DevForce's TextBoxDataBinder.
For now I think I will just forget about having the button on the databound textbox. I will try adding a double-click event to display the pop up on my custom textbox control and then I can just add a button that I will need to redirect to that double-click event every time I use this textbox control.
 Post Reply Post Reply