FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Help Files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LowOrbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LowOrbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Files
    Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 12:30pm
Is there a way to merge the DevForce help files (mainly the Reference help) into the MSDN help collection so context sensitive help is available from within VS?  If not, how do we go about making that a request for a future enhancement?

Thanks!
pkarsh View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote pkarsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 5:19pm
There is not a way to do this at present. We are aware that some people would like this and have entered this into our system as a feature request. We have not yet made this enhancement because, as I understand it, it is very difficult to do. We have placed more emphasis on making all of our documentation searchable from one point using our Consolidated Help.
GregD View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 5:34pm
I looked into this, and it appeared that to facilitate integration with Visual Studio help we would, for starters, have to re-host all of the help content into an MsHelp 2.0 project. Right now it is in a collection of Word documents, plus a .CHM help file that is generated directly from the source code. Moving the documentation source out of Word would impose problems in how it is maintained, and many processes would have to be relearned, re-invented, or created anew.  It just seems that, for now, there are other aspects of the documentation on which our time and efforts will deliver greater value to our customers.

As you may know, we have recently gathered all of the help resources into a searchable HTML Help (.CHM) file. This is available from the DevForce start menu. Many find it actually more convenient than VS-integrated help.

Greg Dunn
Training and Documentation Manager
IdeaBlade
jeffdoolittle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffdoolittle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 10:12pm
Count me as one who cannot stand VS-integrated help.  It is very slow and clunky (and only got worse once I installed DevExpress and merged its help with the VS help).  

Edited by jeffdoolittle - 17-Aug-2007 at 10:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply