FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So, how about that new Beta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
philpastor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote philpastor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So, how about that new Beta
    Posted: 22-May-2008 at 2:18pm

So, what's the word on DEF Beta 2? Is it ready yet?

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass ... I know you guys are working hard, but the anticipation is killing me! :)

Thanks,

Phil

smiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote smiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 12:32pm
any update on this?
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 10:46am
DevForce EF RC1 is now available at http://www.ideablade.com/DevForceEF_summary.html.
smiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote smiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 3:12pm
I've uninstalled ADO.NET EF Beta 3 and the previous DevForce EF Beta.  Installed SP1 Beta 1 of .NET 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008.  Installed DevForce EF RC1 and I've lost my "DevForce EF Object Mapper" entry in the Tools menu of Visual Studio.

Was this moved somewhere?  I see it listed in the Visual Studio Add-in Manager.  I've also done an uninstall/re-install of DevForce EF RC1 to see if that would fix the issue, with no luck.
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 4:30pm
Sorry, you're having a problem.  The "DevForce EF Object Mapper" add-in was not moved, and is supposed to appear on the Tools menu.

A few things to look at -
 - It's possible that DEF Beta1 didn't uninstall cleanly, so check the GAC for wrong assembly versions (all RC1 assemblies are version 4.1.2.0), and also check the various add-in probing paths (from VS Options, Environment, Add-in/Macros Security) for old files

- The add-in should have installed to the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\AddIns folder.  Check for files named IdeaBlade.DevTools.OM.Addin.Addin and IdeaBlade.DevTools.OM.AddIn.v4.dll.  Check that this path is in the VS add-in probing paths mentioned above.

- If the above look good, you can actually either modify the .AddIn file or move the files to another folder (such as \My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Addins), but if you need to do this please post again or contact support so we can get some more information on your configuration to understand what's happening.
smiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote smiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 6:05pm

Probably should mention first that I'm running Vista x64.  The "Documents and Settings" path obviously doesn't apply in that case... but I get the idea.

There is an entry labeled "DevForce EF Object Mapper" in the Add-in Manager and it's checked (on).  The description states "IdeaBlade DevForce Object Mapping Tool".  But there's no entry in the Tools menu.

All 14 of my IdeaBlade.* assemblies in the GAC report version 4.1.2.0 (do you guys really have to GAC the assemblies?!)

The Visual Studio settings in Tools->Options->Environment->Add-in/Macros Security appear pretty stock.  My Add-in File Paths include:
- %ALLUSERSDOCUMENTS%\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins
- %APPDATA%\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins
- %VSAPPDATA%\Addins
- %VSCOMMONAPPDATA%\Addins
- %VSMYDOCUMENTS%\Addins

I did a search for "IdeaBlade.DevTools.OM.AddIn.v4.dll" on my machine and found it in two spots:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\IdeaBlade DevForce EF
- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\AddIns

I doubled checked both of these files and they are version 4.1.2.0.

I did a search for "IdeaBlade.DevTools.OM.AddIn.AddIn" on my machine and found it in one spot:
- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\AddIns

So I explicitly added "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\AddIns" to the "Add-in File Paths" to make sure that path is covered.  Restarted Visual Studio and still no luck.

Any ideas?

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 7:42pm
Using the Add-in Manager, ensure that the checkboxes for both the add-in itself and the "Startup" option are checked.
smiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote smiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 8:06pm
The Add-in itself and the "Startup" option are checked.  The "Command line" option is unchecked.
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 10:24am
There is a good chance that this problem can be cured by using a technique described in DevForce "Classic" Installation Guide.  You will need to adjust this technique for differences for the names used in DevForce "Classic" and "DevForce EF".  BTW, the Addins directory for Vista is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MSEnvShared.
Check for “bad” Add-in

ð    Launch Visual Studio

ð    Select Tools ► Add-in Manager … from the menu.

Add-in Manager probably shows that the IdeaBlade Object Mapper is present as in the following

If you don’t see the Object Mapper listed, see the section entitled “No Object Mapper in Add-In Manager”, below.

Visual Studio “remembers” the last time it tried to use this Add-in and it can’t load what it remembers.

Copying a new version of the Object Mapper Add-in on top of the old copy won’t work. Visual Studio won’t try to load it again until we make it forget about this Add-in.

The trick is to

·         Rename the IdeaBlade.DevTools.Orm.AddIn file temporarily,

·         convince Visual Studio that it is gone,

·         restore the Add-in file name, and

·         cause Visual Studio to discover it anew.

The AddIns Directory

Visual Studio looks for an XML file in its “AddIns” directory.

That directory varies depending upon your edition of Visual Studio and how you installed it.

The preferred location is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\AddIns

For the All Users location, you must have the Show Hidden Files and Folders option turned on to see the Application Data folder.

Alternatively, the directory may be in the user’s directory space at

%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\Visual Studio 8\AddIns

You can copy and paste this into Windows Explorer. Realize that this directory may not exist.

Jiggle the Object Mapper AddIn file

We can proceed now that we know where Visual Studio keeps its Add-in information.

ð    Exit Visual Studio.

ð    Navigate to the Visual Studio “AddIns” directory

ð    Rename IdeaBlade.DevTools.Orm.AddIn to IdeaBlade.DevTools.Orm.AddInXX

ð    Confirm for Windows that it is OK to change the file extension.

ð    Launch Visual Studio.

ð    Select Tools ► Add-in Manager … from the menu.

ð    Verify that “IdeaBlade Object Mapper” is no longer listed.

If you still see the Object Mapper listed, you won’t be able to revive the Object Mapper. There is some other reference to it somewhere. Please contact Customer Support.

ð    Exit Visual Studio.

ð    Restore IdeaBlade.DevTools.Orm.AddInX back to IdeaBlade.DevTools.Orm.AddIn

That should do it. Now we verify that the Object Mapper is installed.

ð    Launch Visual Studio again.

ð    Look for “IdeaBlade Object Mapper” at the top of the Tools menu.

smiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote smiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 10:57am
I followed the instructions for "Jiggle the Object Mapper AddIn file" and it worked!  I can now see "DevForce EF Object Mapper" in my tools menu.

Many thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply