FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Serial Coroutines and ManagedThreadId

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stephenmcd1 View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote stephenmcd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serial Coroutines and ManagedThreadId
    Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 12:55pm
I've run into problems when using Serial Coroutines with respect to the ManagedThreadId property on the EntityManager.  The exception specifically says that I should "Consider calling the EntityManager’s asynchronous methods; they work safely on background threads managed by DevForce. "  I thought I was using the asynchronous methods so I was expecting it to work.  An example of the code is as follows:

public void TestCoroutine(AsyncEventCompletedCallback<GenericAsyncEventArgs<int>> callback)
        {
            //Get the entity manager from somewhere
            var myEntityManager = Uow.EntityManager;

Coroutine.Start(
                () => BuildBasicCoroutine(myEntityManager),
                op =>
                    {
                        //Always fails
                    });
        }

private static IEnumerable<INotifyCompleted> BuildBasicCoroutine(DataModelEntityManager em)
        {
            yield return em.Users.ExecuteAsync();
            yield return em.Contracts.ExecuteAsync();
        }

If I switch it to use Coroutine.StartParallel it will succeed just fine but in many cases I actually need serial behavior becaues one query depends on a previous query.  

It seems like this should be possible and maybe I'm just doing something basic wrong.  Any help would be appreciated.
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 3:52pm
It should be possible with serial execution, and does work in our tests.

I can think of two reasons why you might get this error:
  • The Uow.EntityManager was constructed on another thread, or
  • You're running in a test environment (or a console application) which does free threading and doesn't synchronize threads to the context. 
stephenmcd1 View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote stephenmcd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2010 at 8:27pm
Thanks, I was testing this in two place.  One was a unit test which we expect to fail.  The other was in a Silverlight app but I found that it was something else that was messing with my entity manager so mystery solved.  Thanks for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply