FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Four Simple Steps issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bbakermai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bbakermai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four Simple Steps issues
    Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 1:13pm
The Four Simple Steps walkthrough could use a little help once you get past the initial EF and DevForce setup. I built some of the UI, but there was no indication of having to add the references to System.Windows.Controls, System.Windows.Controls.Data, and System.Windows.Controls.Dataform. Plus there was no discussion of what exactly the app.config in the client project is for. I copied it in, and never could get a build. At one point, it flashed a dialog telling me to contact Tech Support. Well, it is RC1, so I'm not going to do that <g>. Finally just opened up the canned solution and it worked on the first try (after a couple of builds to get everything sync'd up). Suggest putting a little more detail in that walkthrough - it's almost like the author ran out of steam by Step 4. A little more documentation about Silverlight-related Validation and Verifiers usage, and the kinds of things you can do in the shared classes would also be nice.

Otherwise, great stuff! I like how you're still using a lot of the Alexandria bits.
BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 7:42pm
Hi Bob, good to see you here;

Yes, I agree the doc needs more info. I sent them a few suggestions too. I think it's up to us what we want to see and let them know what to add in.

I'm excited to see IB brings their experience to the SL platform.
..Ben
bbakermai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bbakermai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 7:57pm
Right back at ya!

Are you seeing an issue where, after having completed the 4 simple steps app, if you then load up a plain o' <g> SL3 app (like one of the walkthroughs, or in my case, a new app I'm working on for my MCP status), when you go to run it, you get an IdeaBlade MessageBox telling you that the server and client must both have access to the Domain Model namespaces (even though this is NOT a DevForce for SL3 solution)? I even restarted VS 2008, and still saw that. If not, I guess I'll need to post this where it might be more visible.
BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 8:10pm
Hi Bob;

I haven't started with DevForce yet. I just got done installing (or I should say re-installing) the beta and Blend 3. I was having some issues with Blend 3, so I have not gotten to DevForce yet. Sorry couldn't help here!
Best Regards!
..Ben

WPF & Silverlight Insider
http://www.MicroIntelligence.Com
GregD View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2009 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by bbakermai

The Four Simple Steps walkthrough could use a little help once you get past the initial EF and DevForce setup. I built some of the UI, but there was no indication of having to add the references to System.Windows.Controls, System.Windows.Controls.Data, and System.Windows.Controls.Dataform. Plus there was no discussion of what exactly the app.config in the client project is for. I copied it in, and never could get a build. At one point, it flashed a dialog telling me to contact Tech Support. Well, it is RC1, so I'm not going to do that <g>. Finally just opened up the canned solution and it worked on the first try (after a couple of builds to get everything sync'd up). Suggest putting a little more detail in that walkthrough - it's almost like the author ran out of steam by Step 4. A little more documentation about Silverlight-related Validation and Verifiers usage, and the kinds of things you can do in the shared classes would also be nice.

Otherwise, great stuff! I like how you're still using a lot of the Alexandria bits.

Hi, Bob.

The Four Simple Steps article isn't intended as a tutorial, and particularly not as a UI tutorial. The idea was to provide an overview of the basic process for creating a DevForce Silverlight app, brief but with enough detail to be convincing. Including a lot of detail about the construction of an essentially arbitrary UI would, we felt, detract from the article's main purpose.

Similar comments regarding more detail on Verification. We felt that was a job for another time and place.

On the other hand, I recognize that we're, uh, a bit short on step-by-step tutorials for DevForce Silverlight.  The material in the "Hello DevForce" chapter of the Developers Guide is as close as we currently get. We'll fill that gap as quickly as we can.

Glad you were able to make your way through it anyway!

BenHayat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenHayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2009 at 8:29pm
Hi Greg;

I'm watching your WinClient videos now to get a better view of things. I also downloaded  the WinClient Developers guide to get more info.

Q1) Since you know both products (WinClient and SL), and some of the info from this guide pertains to SL product, I'd suggest to extract the common or related materials and create a new guide (at least a temporary one) that people can read and get up to speed, otherwise we have to go through 487 pages to figure out what relates to SL.

Q2) So now that we have RC1, what's the roadmap for docs or samples?

Thanks!
Best Regards!
..Ben

WPF & Silverlight Insider
http://www.MicroIntelligence.Com
IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 12:57pm
Hi Ben,

Yes, we are looking at creating a Silverlight specific developers guide that discusses the Silverlight development methodology (async, etc).  We'd like to keep 4 Simple Steps simple - perhaps it should be called "My First Silverlight Application", and we'll create a follow-up document that goes into more detail about LOB application scenarios.  We're also planning to create more CRUD application samples to show how everything fits together in context.  This will take some time however. 

We'd like to provide code samples produced by the community as well, so if any of you out there have something to show off, let us know!

Post Reply Post Reply