FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Object Mapper can't be restored

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Object Mapper can't be restored
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:51pm

I installed the 3.3 version of Ideablade. Uninstall/Install appeared to work as expected.  However, somehow the Object Mapper was corrupted.  When I went to retrieve it I received a message stating that there was a problem, it couldn’t open and to remove it and reinstall the add-in.  I’ve attempted to address the issue & have been having a significant amount of trouble.  When I tried to install simply the mapper I received 2 errors: 

Tools.InstallCommunityControls not available

Unable to install community controls.  Unable to invoke the community controls installer.

My thoughts at the time were perhaps this was a piece of the toolbox. So I attempted to install that only to receive: 

Unable to Install/Unistall the Visual Studio Toolbar

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

So, I’ve tried to remove it and reinstall itseveral times throughout this entire process. I’ve tried to remove it and go back to a previous version, same thing.   The toolbar message is received during the full reinstall as well.   

I’ve looked in the troubleshooting sections of the documentation and have tried everything relevant.  

I used the Windows Uninstall clean up tool, downloaded a fresh copy of the zip file from IB’s website in case somehow the file was corrupted, reinstall and still no luck.  Uninstalled, performed a regclean & defrag and got the same msg’s upon reinstallation of the entire product, in addition to the tools individually.  I’ve left a message with IB’s support for assistance as nothing in the troubleshooting guide addresses this issue and simply states that if there is anything other than the ones in the guide that there is a bigger problem and to telephone.  I will let you know the outcome or you are more than welcome to see if you can get it to respond appropriately, if you’d like.

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:52pm

Thank you for your detailed problem description.

Here are the suggested steps to repair an Object Mapper that refuses to reappear:
  • Try the Object Mapper Installer (This ofen fails because of broken Tools.InstallCommunityControls)
  • Rename trick suggested in Installation Guide
However, if the Object Mapper doesn't show up as an Available Add-In in the Add-In Manager for Tools in Visual Studio 2005, you generally have only one recourse:
  • Reinstall Visual Studio
This is a relatively rare problem (less than one report a month),  but when the problem does occur, this is the only solution that I know of that has worked.  For example, I have known a situation where uninstalling DevForce and then reinstalling DevForce has fixed the problem.  The good news is that I have know a situation where this has not worked.

Edited by IdeaBlade - 12-Jul-2007 at 12:54pm
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:53pm

Repair/Reinstall didn’t work but I did do a complete uninstall of VS & IB and reinstalled all we are back up and running.  Thank you for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply