FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Data Type Resolution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data Type Resolution
    Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 2:57pm
Last week I put together a small module that allows the administrator to add/edit users.  One of the fields carried over from the old database was called 'Inactive'.  Typically, this would have a boolean type; however, we work with what we get sometime and this was an integer field.  No problem.  In order to present a checkbox on the new form, I decided to change the field in the database from Int to Bit (SQL Server 2000).  All was well.  The new form bound beautifully.

Then, Monday came.  Various access came to a screeching halt in some of our older programs.  These were relying on the 'Inactive' field to be an integer.  Whoops.  I quickly reverted the database back to its original form.  Now, how was I going to resolve this one?

Easy!!  I made a custom property in the business object.  Then I bound my checkbox to this new property.  What a piece of cake!!  No need to touch the database after all.  No need to go back to any legacy code and make scary modifications.  Thanks IdeaBlade!  Marvelous product!!
 Post Reply Post Reply