FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Async ServerMethod returning Task<T>

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cefernan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote cefernan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Async ServerMethod returning Task<T>
    Posted: 15-Jul-2013 at 11:37am
Hi,

I'm creating a server method that I would like to be an async method that return a bool value.

[AllowRpc]
public async static Task<bool> SendEmail(IPrincipal principal, EntityManager entityManager, params Object[] args)
{

}
But I receive this error:
An error occurred while communicating with the server.  A common cause for this error is a return type from the invoked method which is either not serializable or not marked as a known type.

I understand that Task<T> is not a valid return type for a server method and I can create SendEmail without async, but I have a bunch of async business logic implemented and I would take advantage of that.

What do you suggest?

Regards.
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2013 at 3:00pm
DevForce allows only the synchronous signature for its remote server methods.  To call them asynchronously from a client app you can use the EntityManager.InvokeServerMethodAsync call.
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2013 at 3:06pm
cefernan,

Remote server methods must conform with the ServerMethodDelegate type:

public delegate object ServerMethodDelegate(IPrincipal principal, EntityManager serverEntityManager, params object[] args)

The server method will execute synchronously in the server, but you can invoke it asynchronously on the client:

var op = await entityManager.InvokeServerMethodAsync(serverMethod, startDate, endDate);

You can find this info at http://drc.ideablade.com/devforce-2012/bin/view/Documentation/rsmc-query.
You will also find a sample at http://drc.ideablade.com/devforce-2012/bin/view/Documentation/code-sample-remote-server-method
cefernan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote cefernan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2013 at 11:14am
I got it, I was asking because I want to use others existent async methods inside my server method, in this case will be necessary to use await. Consequently, my server method needs to be async. 

What I need to do is create a synchronous equivalent method for each existent asynchronous method.
smi-mark View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote smi-mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2013 at 7:39am
You can use Task.WaitAll to achieve this in your synchronous server method

Edited by smi-mark - 17-Jul-2013 at 7:39am
cefernan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote cefernan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2013 at 9:34am
You are right, Mark.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply