FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple Parent Tables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple Parent Tables
    Posted: 11-Nov-2011 at 8:06pm
I have two tables: Contacts and Addresses.

The Addresses table has a field called EntityId. There is a foreign key relation to Contacts. This works just fine, and the navigation properties work as expected between Contacts and Addresses.

Now I add a new table in called Companies. I add a second Foreign key relation to Addresses, so it can relate back to either a Contact or a company.

As soon as I do this, the navagation between Contacts and Addresses breaks. The error that is thrown is System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid column name 'Company_Id'

It appears what is happening is that it is trying to populate the Addresses->Companies properties and of course fails as Companies isn't available just then.

What I am tring to achieve is that I can relate an address to either a Contact or a Company.

Greg
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 5:09pm
Never mind, I got this working by changing the data structure a bit.

Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply